Finish for wenge picture frame

Billm0066

Bill
User
First time making a picture frame, and will also be a first time using splines. I googled "finishing wenge" and getting some ideas. This is a picture frame to go on my wifes desk and might get handled here and there. I want a nice matte natural look. It's solid wenge with a maple inlay. I was thinking of thinned shellac, but have never used it before. Also my first time with wenge. Definitely not my favorite wood but my wife will love it.

Or should I just use a matte poly? I have this stuff https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00714ZOOA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Which I really love. It has zero gloss and very forgiving.

BKHam

Bradley
User
an oil or a poly will *typically* make it look darker thru deeper absorption. for example, i rarely use those on Walnut because for me, i prefer the lighter tones rather than bringing out the darker ones. i think your suggestion is a pretty good one. if you get a blond shellac like sealcoat for example, you will get a lighter result.

I have tried to make wenge mimic ebony at times so i could see the benefit in making darker.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I used shellac but couldnt get a smooth finish. I need more practice. Sanded it at 220 and applied matte poly over the top and its perfect. Hard as a rock and smooth as butter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS