Finish for touching surfaces

InnaS

New User
InnaS
I am making a jewelry box and painting it with acrylics. My problem is with the surfaces that touch when the box is closed. I sprayed the paint with Fixatif, but it's not enough. The paint peels off. What can I use on top of the paint to avoid peeling? The surface is wood and metal hinges.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 15915647359044514351130252901930.jpg
    15915647359044514351130252901930.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
  • 15915647566565994835840648089392.jpg
    15915647566565994835840648089392.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 174

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I had success with oil base urethane from a spray can directly on the acrylic paint, just remember several light coats is better than a heavy application.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Blocking is the property of paint you are describing - the sticking of paint to something that touches it (i.e acrylic wall paint used for bookshelves).
Using a harder acrylic formulation, such as an enamel paint , might help.

Tinted lacquer may also be a good choice.

I know those a close-up shots, but I think thinner coats would help as well, especially on the hinges.

InnaS

New User
InnaS
Blocking is the property of paint you are describing - the sticking of paint to something that touches it (i.e acrylic wall paint used for bookshelves).
Using a harder acrylic formulation, such as an enamel paint , might help.

Tinted lacquer may also be a good choice.

I know those a close-up shots, but I think thinner coats would help as well, especially on the hinges.
Thank you!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Does the paint peel off in other areas or just around the hinges? It may be that the surfaces come together more tightly around the hinges. You could try putting a shim under the hinges to slightly increase the space between the lid and the box when you close it up.

Roy G

InnaS

New User
InnaS
The box has to close tightly, and yes, unfortunately, that's what's causing the problem. But keeping the opening wider is not an option.
Thank you!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The box has to close tightly, and yes, unfortunately, that's what's causing the problem. But keeping the opening wider is not an option.
Thank you!

Stop using the acrylic paint and consider something else or leave it natural. Why does it have to be painted to begin with?

InnaS

New User
InnaS
It has to be painted. I don't know what else I can use. I've only ever worked with acrylics.

InnaS

New User
InnaS
Why? Show us one of your boxes before any painting. What wood are you using for these boxes?
This is what it looked like before. I don't know what wood it is. Now it also has layers of paint and fixatif- how would I get it off?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200527-144233_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200527-144233_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 133

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I use acrylics. When I finish I usually brush on a water based varnish. I have done decorative painting. The water based varnish does not tint the light colors. Poly does.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
You've got to work with what you've already done. The finish is sticking to itself because when the lid is closed the pressure makes one surface stick to the other, and there's some residual tackiness still in the finish. You can't feel it, but it's there.
Here's a simple fix:
  • Touch-up paint all the areas where the finish has pulled off.
  • Let it dry at least 3 days, even go so far as to put a hot light bulb about a foot away.
  • Rub on paste wax with your fingertip; wipe off excess. You're not going for a wax polish; you just want the two surfaces to not stick to each other.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I sprayed the paint with Fixatif, but it's not enough. The paint peels off. What can I use on top of the paint to avoid peeling? The surface is wood and metal hinges.

Krylon Fixatif is mostly toluene and acetone, both of which act like paint stripper on your acrylic paint. Don't use it! I don't understand why the box has to be painted, particularly with acrylic paint.

The box picture that you sent looks like pine wood so why paint it?

A better picture of the entire box would be helpful to understand your idea behind the design. Is it your particular design element?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS