Finish for hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Getting close to starting to finish the hickory tv stand.&nbsp; Now I am trying to figure out the best finish. I took some scrap and tried a matte poly, but it really did nothing to the look and not what I am looking for.&nbsp; I have also tried a satin water poly and a semi gloss oil. I kind of like the water satin, but I have read and watched a few other finishes.&nbsp; One was 2 coats BLO with furniture polish. I liked the look on the oak and the simplicity, but not sure about the durability or how it would look on hickory. The other I read was BLO with with a satin poly, and i also read some with General Finish Arm r seal. Just trying to figure out how to get the best look, would like to enhance the grain a bit and bring out the natural colors in the hickory. The piece has a nice variation of very light pieces and some with the richer browns.<br>

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
BLO/Mineral Oil wiped on will pop the grain. Let it dry thoroughly then topcoat with your prefered choice. This is Hickory/Pecan with the same finish
attachment.php

Attachments

• th_150galfreshwater2.jpg
    th_150galfreshwater2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 265

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Means what?

A few pics of your TV stand will be helpful to see what you're working with.

would like to enhance the grain a bit and bring out the natural colors in the hickory. The piece has a nice variation of very light pieces and some with the richer browns.<br>

Probably steer away from water-borne this that or the other for starters. Dewaxed shellac or Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish would be good choices and they can be rubbed out to a satin appearance if that's what you want. Both are easy to apply and repair if necessary without strip/sanding the entire piece and starting from scratch (aka "poly") and both have good durability.

A hickory serving tray finished with Waterlox.

P3280246.jpg

P3280245.jpg

JohnW

New User
John
My favorite finish for hickory.
Wipe on BLO to saturate then wipe off using paper towels to help it dry faster, and let dry for at least a day.
Seal coat of shellac either blonde or a little darker if you wish. Some amber helps bring out a slightly deeper richer look.
Clear top coat. I typically use a water based acrylic but any clear coat will look good.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
for the waterlox do you use the original or the voc compliant version? Also how bad is the smell with waterlox?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My last kitchen was done in hickory, I recommend the BLO. It will even out the tones and enrich the grain.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I vote for waterlox satin. That’s what I plan to use on my hickory stair treads to match the flooring.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
for the waterlox do you use the original or the voc compliant version? Also how bad is the smell with waterlox?

I've only used the Original Sealer/Finish. The odor is like low-odor/odorless mineral spirits so it's like most solvent based finishes. I haven't used the VOC compliant formulation but it has a VOC compliant solvent (4-chloro-benzotrifluoride) in place of most of the petroleum based solvents in the Original version (Note: VOC compliant does not mean "no-odor" and is not-water borne so don't confuse the two). The VOC solvent also has a significant odor which is characterized as "smelly or disagreeable".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS