Finish for ERC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have been asked by a neighbor to put together an outdoor project made entirely out of Eastern Red Cedar. They were very specific in the choice of wood because of the rich natural color of Red Cedar.

As this will be used outdoors, what would be the best finish that would help protect that red cedar color?

(A couple of years ago, I built some Adirondack chairs using ERC, but I finished it with Olympic Cedar Stain:slap: and they seemed to hold up ok as far as maintaining the color, but I was wondering if there was something other than a stain that would provide the protection from the elements.)

Is there anyone out there that can provide me with some ERC finishing direction?

Thanks so much in advance, as I am at a total loss with this one!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally I would chose an penetrating oil finish over a film finish, so if you ever need to re-new it you just add some more.
I have heard many good things about this product line. It's a penetrating oil finish, with UV protectants (that will help keep the color), plus a mildew-icide to keep the wood from getting funky.

http://www.penofin.com/products_rl.shtml

You should be able to find it at -
Tarheel Wood Treating
10309 Chapel Hill Rd
Morrisville, NC 27560

Phone: 800 635-3325

HTH,
Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have had great success with Australian Oil by Cabot. It is available at Lowes.

Gives the cedar a rich look without "gloss." Good UV rating as well.

Also, General has a new finish called "450" that I have a sample of but have not used yet.

Good luck.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
DaveO and Reggie. Thanks a lot for your recommendations.

Looks like I have at least a couple of good options. Tarheel Wood Treating is just down a bit from me and of course good 'ol Lowes is close.

Thanks again!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS