Finish for An Outfeed Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I went through two sheets of 3/4" ply this weekend building an outfeed/assembly table. (My previous table was a piece of 24" x 48" MDF on a Workmate!) The new one is about 42" x 48" and I built it using poplar plywood.

Thinking about a protective finish, what would y'all recommend? I was thinking just some blonde shellac with a couple of coats of Johnsons paste wax? Will this add the protection and slipperiness I need on the table top?

pic ...........

DSC00459.JPG

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Wayne

nelsone

New User
Ed
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think just the paste wax would be ok too. Take a scrap piece of the MDF and experiment!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice table ... is that from one of the recent magazines? Looks familiar. :drunken_s

Finish ... I'd go for something simple, like the shellac and wax. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Polyurethane/Varnish will give you the most protective finish, and with Plywood/MDF you want to block any moisture adsorption if possible. That said a Shellac and wax finish will do a great job and can be slick as gorilla snot,
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice table ... is that from one of the recent magazines? Looks familiar. :drunken_s
:icon_thum

Jeremy,

I got the inspiration from watching a video on WoodWhisperer.com. (I believe his version was a full 4' x 8' - a wee bit too large for my shop space challenges:BangHead:.)

Thanks,

Wayne

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Polyurethane/Varnish will give you the most protective finish, and with Plywood/MDF you want to block any moisture adsorption if possible. That said a Shellac and wax finish will do a great job and can be slick as gorilla snot,
Dave:)
Does anyone know, who first found out that Gorilla snot was slick

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
and can be slick as gorilla snot
Contrary to popular belief, Gorilla Snot is not slick. In fact, it is used for hair-, dust- and guitar pick control!

gorilla-snot-hair-gel.jpg

(It's amazing the results Google will find....)

The only kind of snot that is slippery is the kind that the Heels beat out of NC State yesterday :)

DavidF

New User
David
I covered mine in tempered hardboard which is pretty slick on its own and can be replaced when it gets beaten up - which it will!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Got all of the finish on. Three coats of Amber Shellac and three of Johnson's paste wax. It is really pretty slick!:eusa_danc

Not too sure that it would rival "Gorilla Snot", though!:wfrown:

Thanks alot guys. (1st time I have used amber shellac.....sure was simple and fast!)

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice. I've never used shellac before, nothing like shop furniture to try out new techniques and finishes. The table came out great.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
How about puttng a formica laminate on the top?

That is what I did on my TS outfeed and extension tables and my assembly table. After using them for almost a year, I would not have it any other way. I am sloppy, but with laminate I can just scrub of use a chisel to get all kinds of crap and glue off the table. And it is smooth which is what you want for an outfeed table.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Isn't that a little too nice for an outfeed table, Wayne? Now you won't want to scratch it up. Nice job :eusa_clap.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS