Fine Woodworking Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A lot of people here subscribe to Fine Woodworking Magazine. Are you getting it in digital or paper form?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Everything in my life has moved to digital as soon as possible. Except WWing magazines. I like to take them places I don't want to take an electronic device and I like to rip them apart and put the best stuff, nicely arranged by category, into big binders in my shop so I can find them more easily later. The magazine's own digital index and search functions are a bit lacking in that respect. And since I subscribe to just about all of them, I don't feel like searching 8 different sites / apps to find something I was looking for.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
When it come to books and magazines I am a paper version type. I do like Fine Woodworking and have been thinking about subscribing, but I want to think there is a separate subscription fee for each version. is that correct.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm still a paper kinda guy. I like to sit in my easy chair and take my time going through my WW magazines. Just one of life's little pleasures.

jglord

New User
John
As of now, I only get the paper copy but based on comments here, I'm going to look into adding a digital copy. Having one of my favorite magazines with me when I need something to read sounds great. Thanks to all for question and comments.:)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to both the paper and digital subscriptions. There is some redundancy but not enough to make it a show stopper.

Viewing one or the other kind of depends on circumstance at the time. The hard copies end up being archived and a digital search is often a quicker way to find something lurking in my mind. The search is not "google" but a few search keyword changes can narrow the field.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'm gradually converting everything to digital. My house was collapsing under the weight of 40 years of accumulated paper until I bit the bullet and started disposing of stuff. Down in the shop I have networked computer access to everything without taking up valuable space. I can always print from the digital copies if I need to.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I like the paper version. With one BIG gripe. Unless I'm missing something, they discontinued their index of the paper mag. You have to buy the digital subscription in order to access the index. I can usually remember reading an article , but finding it six months later is hard without that index.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
You can search on the website without having a digital subscription and at least find the number of the issue containing the article.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Some magazines I get paper only. Some both. My problem is I usualy read them for a while and then rip out the projects and file them, tables, boxes, dressers, etc. Then I discard the rest. I guess I will start printing the projects I want and waste less paper.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't get any magazines. Every ten years or so I see something at a news stand that catches my eye, but when I read it I am reminded why I never subscribe to any magazines.

Lately I have bought several of Chris Schwartz' books and they do supply enough meat to get a good bite.

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Print for me. I enjoy the simple pleasure of turning pages, and I never worried when a magazine fell to the floor.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
You can search on the website without having a digital subscription and at least find the number of the issue containing the article.

I bought the DVD with all the issues through 2012. The search feature with the DVD works ok but I have found the best way to find what I want is to search the website and get the number of the issue it is in. Then I can go straight to that issue and read the article.

zzdodge

New User
zz
I bought the DVD with all the issues through 2012. The search feature with the DVD works ok but I have found the best way to find what I want is to search the website and get the number of the issue it is in. Then I can go straight to that issue and read the article.

I like reading the paper copy, and hauling it with me when I travel (all too frequent these days). But I too bought the DVD archive and then loaded it into my laptop. Cost me a bit more than $80 though.

It is not woodworking, but it is related. I like the Fine Homebuilding magazine, although I decided to not buy the DVD. The stuff in that publication gets dated more quickly.

Back to fine woodworking...I started woodworking about 1967 or so, as a child, and looking at the DVD reminded me of how much things have changed, and how practices we had in the 70's are now not considered safe. From dust to guards and riving knives.

Play safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS