Finally . . . . Videos!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I have long attempted to embed a video in either a thread post or a PM in NCWW with no success. It's now very easy using the Insert\Media\Enter Media URL function. Thanks, Ron! Example:

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Love that we can imbed videos now! Just a little constructive suggestion though to make the dust collection a bit more effective, perhaps it would be more effective to have the bottom of the dust hood angled downward, like a funnel almost to allow gravity to assist the shop vac.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Love that we can imbed videos now! Just a little constructive suggestion though to make the dust collection a bit more effective, perhaps it would be more effective to have the bottom of the dust hood angled downward, like a funnel almost to allow gravity to assist the shop vac.

Good suggestion, I was only using this as an example. It was the first woodworking video I stumbled across.;)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
beside the smiley faces, there is a button with 3 dots and a down arrow. Click that to get to the insert media

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Although I realize this is not a project by the OP, the failure of this miter saw hood to collect dust is due to his reliance on a shop vac. It simply cannot move enough air to be effective. At a minimum, a 4" port to a dust collector moving at least 400 cfm is needed. A 6" port would be better and as suggested by Tgillis, a more funneled shape would be better (I'd connect a rectangular floor register boot such as this one to broaden the collection area.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow! Great job with the new software! I agree with Rob, a 4" connection to DC will work far better!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I agree with all the comments regarding the effectiveness of the design featured in this video. I should have been more selective of a trial video.:rolleyes: Not related to this thread . . . Is everyone receiving email alerts for updates to watched threads and conversations (PMs) as you did with the old system? All boxes are checked in my Alerts Preferences, but no emails.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I agree with all the comments regarding the effectiveness of the design featured in this video. I should have been more selective of a trial video.:rolleyes: Not related to this thread . . . Is everyone receiving email alerts for updates to watched threads and conversations (PMs) as you did with the old system? All boxes are checked in my Alerts Preferences, but no emails.
Same here, no emails.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have to wonder how much memory a video consumes compared to the usual photos and graphics we use, and if a server upgrade is again imminent.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I have to wonder how much memory a video consumes compared to the usual photos and graphics we use, and if a server upgrade is again imminent.

Are the videos actually stored on our server or merely made available through the link embedded?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
the link is stored as part of the message thread, which is stored in the forum database. The actual video remains outside of our server

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

If I remember correctly, our new web hosting service (Amazon AWS) is a flex service. Rather than being charged a fixed amount, we are charged based on usage and storage. I have not seen a bill yet so cannot say how this will compare with the fixed rate service we were using, but I can state that the tech support has been much better so far. At any rate, my point is that upgrades will happen transparently. Amazon is a class operation and hosts many fortune 500 companies and has data centers around the world. They can survive major disasters like hurricanes or tornadoes and keep on ticking. I believe we are in good hands.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Wow! We've gone Big Time. Does this mean if we mention a product in a thread that we will be inundated with Amazon offers? ;)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We're not subscribing to Amazon or Google ads. They were problematic in the past with slow reload speeds.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did you click the "Watch Thread" button? There is a check box there for e-mail alerts.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I'm the OP of this thread and the Watch Thread button was selected by default when the thread was created and the receive email was also selected by default. When I entered a comment in another thread watch, etc. was automatically selected.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have not received any email notifications since migrating to new site, and all of my preferences are enabled for emails.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors