Finally turned another pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Haven't had much shop time lately. Here's my feeble attempt at another acrylic pen AND photography!:roll:
It's Mother of Pearl with a Satin Pearl Kit. Both pics are the same pen w/different backgrounds. What can I do to improve the pics? (I know only more practice will help the pen turnings)
Thanks for any suggestions,

Attachments

• MotherofPearlwSatinPearlKit 001.jpg
    MotherofPearlwSatinPearlKit 001.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 139
  • MotherofPearlwSatinPearlKit 004.jpg
    MotherofPearlwSatinPearlKit 004.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 138

Badabing

New User
Joe
That's a very nice looking pen Randy! I know I can't help you get better at turning, I'm not that great yet myself, but I can give you some photo tips...

I got some advice from a photographer I know. He told me to build a light box and open the aperture on the camera to get everything in focus better. Here is a link to directions on building a light box:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/

I didn't actually build one, I found one on sale at Walmart and just bought it. It made a world of difference though! Also, try to use a neutral background color and something underneath that will hold the pen with the clip face up.

I tried standing my pens upright but that didn't look right. I've had a lot of luck with just putting a small, slotted piece of 1/8'' MDF under the cloth so that the pen rests in the slot and doesn't roll. Take a look at my website if you want to see the pics I took with the light tent.

Hope that helps!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Randy,
No advice on the photos, but the pens look great :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work!

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Randy the pen looks great, excellent fit and finish.
As far as the pictures. The first one has too much glare from the flash, the second doesn't have enough light. The best thing that you can do is provide bright diffused light, and not use your flash. As mentioned a light box or photo cube is an easy way to get the diffused lighting you need. But you can also achieve it the low tech way with bright lights like desk lamps or task lights, etc. And diffuse that harsh light through some light colored thin cloth.
Another thing I might add, is if you're not already doing it, a tri-pod and the macro setting on your camera go a long way to help with good focus
Pen turning is pretty easy, the finishing is more difficult and the photography to show off your work is the hardest of all. :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for the tips. Might have to look into building a light box. Have to practice with the aperture/focus thing too.:slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors