Finally--Shop Time

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
It's been a long 5 months since I've been in the shop to actually make something. Last Oct my wife took a bad backward fall off a step stool and suffered a compound fracture of her calcaneus (heel bone) and also dislocated her ankle. It was the night before we were to leave on a cruise. Fast forward to the end of Nov and we're in Mission hospital for a 4-hour surgery to insert a titanium plate.

Mission hospital has a parking valet service to park cars for surgery patients and their caregivers. After surgery, I went to retrieve the car and go home....the 79 yr old valet driver crashed our car into the rear end of a hospital shuttle van driven by another 77 yr old van driver. Long story short....just got my fixed car back on Mar 9th. The hospital insurance carrier was a horror to deal with.

Now the Pandemic hits and it's a continue to hunker down at home. My wife is finally out of the wheelchair and has graduated from the walker to a cane. So since she is able to get around w/o assistance I put in some shop time to just distract from the overall virus situation.

Here are a couple of pics of 1.) A keepsake box I made out of paduk and curly maple, 2.) a shop mallet made out of qswo and purple heart scraps.

It was good to make something and look forward to the virus and convalescence being over.

I hope everyone is taking all the precautions necessary and we'll get through this.

Paduk 1 (2).JPGPaduk 2 (3).JPGPaduk 3.JPGPaduk 4 (2).JPG

IMG_1956.JPGIMG_1957.JPGIMG_1958.JPG

Attachments

• Paduk 2 (4).JPG
    Paduk 2 (4).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Dan. I'm happy to hear that Dot is recovering well from her injury. Hope we can all get through this social isolation safely, but as you've shown, it is a good time to get into the shop.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Really good looking work, Dan. Sorry to hear about all the woes, prayers for all to settle down and wish the wife a speedy full recovery.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm glad to hear things are going in the right direction for you. Love the box and mallet, nice work!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
You and your wife have had your share of issues, I trust the road ahead is not so challenging! That said, your work is beautiful; obviously the time away from the shop didn't dull your craftsmanship!

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Everyone, Thanks for the many kind words. The woe situation could've been much worse. The fall and subsequent operations were successful. We're in great shape. The cruise wasn't insured but the cruise company still reimbursed us for approximately 30%...so good deal.

The really bad aspect of the car accident was the hospital's handling of the car damage. Accidents happen...that's just life. But the way they handled it was just pure aggravation. They kept saying you're covered we're liable and we'll take care of all repairs. Not so, they just dragged it out. They asked me to get an estimate and they will cut me a check.

The body shop estimate was ~$5K with a caveat that there was more internal damage. The hospital sent out an appraiser and they came up with a $490.00 estimate and sent me a check and said all's well.

After two-three weeks of back and forth w/the hospital insurance carrier I went to my Allstate agent and explained the situation. He immediately said they’ll take care of everything. They said go ahead and take the car to the body shop and they’ll work w/them and then go after the hospital ins carrier. Long story short, they fixed the car and helped me file an additional “Diminished Value” claim. Two weeks later the hospital carrier sent me a check for $3,500.00.

I’m not a big fan of insurance carriers, but Allstate really came through.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Absolutely gorgeous box, hope it helped take your mind off things. There's enough stress going around already. Then again, a mallet can help with that too :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"I’m not a big fan of insurance carriers, but Allstate really came through."

Good news for you folks finally.

The body shop estimate was ~$5K with a caveat that there was more internal damage. The hospital sent out an appraiser and they came up with a $490.00 estimate and sent me a check and said all's well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS