Finally - pictures of trivets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I finally found the cable for my camera and have uploaded the trivets we discussed a couple of days ago (along with the distinction between trivets and tribbles). Ya'll suggested that I finish these with an oil since they will have hot dishes and/or pans put on them. Do you still think that's the way to go?

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Cathy,

They look really great :cool: -- did you use some of that "freebie" wood from Steve_D for these? Seriously, what is your favorite wood for these and how thick do you make them? And, I assume you add feet to the backside so they sit up off the table top.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice job Cathy.:icon_thum The edges on the Christmas one looks very smooth, almost rounded. Did you have to sand them after you cut them?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cathy, those are really cool, perfect Xmas gifts. How did you come up with the design for the lettering?? I may have to try something like that, I've scrolled names before so it shouldn't be to different. What kind of blade and how much sanding was involved? I would go with a mineral, or walnut oil for a finish. That way you have no worries about the heat factor, and they (the recipients) can always add more to keep them at their prettiest. Great job, thanks for showing them, I'm inspired. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I think two are 3/8" - one butternue and one maple, and the smallest is 1/4" red oak. That one will probably be more of a wall hanging - it won't be able to take a huge amount of heat. I was going to put feet on them, but the wooden ones my mom has had for years don't have them and seem to do fine. My favorite wood is walnut - but I didn't have any wide enough. The "Merry Christmas" is butternut - and not actually a trivet, but I figured I'd throw in the picture because I cut it during this same time.

cskipper

Cathy
I did sand the Merry Christmas. It smoothed very easily wiht just hand sanding - must be tha the butternut is soft. The pattern was from the 2005 Christmas edition of Creative Woodworks Crafts. The trivet patterns came from a Microsoft group.

I used #5 and #7 blades -depending on the detail needed. I only had #5's in precision ground (Olson). I really want to get some FD's.

The wood wasn't the free stuff I got yesterday. I'm planning on it's future!

Last edited:
R

rickc

Good job on the trivets! Having done some scrollsaw work, when I looked a the last one, the first thought that came to mind was how many inside cuts you had to do! They came out nice! Gives me some ideas for Christmas gifts, too.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Cathy,

Nice job! have you thought about NO finish? they look good as they are and gives you and the final owner less to worry about.

cskipper

Cathy
I hope they are really used as trivets. My family has been known to drip food over the edge of a bowl and it gets on the trivet. Wouldn't they be easier to keep clean with some type of finish?

DavidF

New User
David
Well the same would apply to an oil finish really. Only an impervious finsh will just wipe off. We have a large buchers island in our kitchin that suffers multiple spills and is un-finished, we just wipe them off with a damp cloth. Not many impervious finishes, poly etc are very good with heat and an oil finish won't stand much either. Un-finished hardwood is pretty much fool proof and will eventually gain a natual patina from just handling and use - just a thought.

DavidF

New User
David
Hey Cathy,

You've still got a couple of weeks, just "knock up" another one while having a coffee;-) and try it your self for a week.

cskipper

Cathy
DavidF - that would imply that I cook! I'm also out of wood wide enough and thick enough to make more. I'm never sure about gluing up something into which I am going to make so many cuts into or that will have heat put on them.

SteveD - I sent you a PM re: the interview.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cathy,

Just got around to checking out the trivets--smmmmooooth :cool:

Now if we can just find you some more wood :lol:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors