Finally my new website!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
If you get a chance please check out my new website. It has taken a long time to get everything together and in place but it is finally up and running.

The blog area is mainly for a place to post a step by step process for a carving from beginning to end. I post pictures, describe what is being done and discuss any problems that may arise. The idea is to show and discuss carving in an honest way, so if there is a mistake or problem I will say so and then show how to fix it.

I tried to make the entire site not only a place to see my work but to see the process through drawings, the blog and continual updates.

Tell me what you think, I would like to know if there are problems, ideas to improve or just general impressions.

Thanks for your feedback and support.

Stave

www.stromcarver.com

TBradley190

New User
Tim
Like the website, was easy to navigate and everything was nice. But Dude!...your carving is awesome:banana:. Some of the best and most detailed work I've seen. That's beyond talent...that's a gift. May have a project for you if your not too expensive!

Tim

stave

New User
stave
Thanks for the ego boost, that's always good. Glad you liked the site as I put a lot of work into it. Feel free to email me, I try to be affordable and work within budgets if need be....it don't hurt to ask.

Thanks again for appreciating my work.

Stave

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Another job well done!

The thing I like most about your work is that you spend the time to make it look natural and done by hand. Not cranked out on a CNC router or duplicator. The composition is at least as important as the carving.

You say it best:
"The true essence of a plant or animal is not captured in the details of every feather or leaf but in how the carving makes the viewer feel."

. . . and I really like the blog!

pete

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Good website design. I like the way the gallery works with enlarging the images. You are a true artist! Is the wolf pack at the bottom of the page your drawing?

stave

New User
stave
I am glad the site is working so well. I tried to make it image rich with something of interest on every page.
The wolf pack is a design I drew for a ma
menupop.gif
ntle. The mantle was 8' long with the wolves running in the snow on one end with an evergreen tree line that covered about 3' on the other end. Unfortunately I do not have a real good picture because I do not have a wide angle lens.
I will be posting another project in the blog this week, so check in for the new project.

Thanks,

Stave

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I admire your work Stave and could only wish I had the talent or patience to do it, about Pete's response, Hand carving is by far the best, but as with most other things we produce, most people are not willing to pay for the work involved. That is why so much is done on cnc or duplicators. It's a very small group who see the value and are willing to pay for the work done by hand. I find that out at almost every craft show I have done. Lots of compliments on how great the work is but very few pull out the cash to take something home.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Great site! I don't usually tolerate flash unless the site is well designed and worth my hassle of unblocking it--definitely the case here.

Even more exceptional is your carving, truly beautiful! You've definitely extended the craft to art.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Awesome website and your carving is beyond description:swoon::swoon:.

stave

New User
stave
I am glad the flash is not presenting a problem. There was a lot of discussion over the format, the look on different devices like smart phones etc. I even tried to make the site easily accessible to people with dial up. Seems all the new technology simplifies some things and makes other things complicated as it can be.

Brad you are right about people appreciating the work enough to purchase it. I understand it though. My house is filled with paintings, pottery, furniture etc.. that is all hand made mainly due to the fact that I can trade for it. I had to put a price on things for insurance and you would have thought I was a rich man. Handcrafted is expensive but the true misunderstanding with people is that handcrafted items are made well, are made to last and will not need to be replaced. I tell people that I make the antiques of tomorrow...they are well thought out, made from good materials and made to last.

I have spent years trying to build speed with my carving and I dare say I am fast with most things that I do. Anything made by hand with attention to detail will take time and the people that appreciate that are not the norm...I must admit that all my clients are characters and that is one of the best things about my job...meeting some really unusual people.

Stave

M

McRabbet

Stave -- your work is beautiful and your talent certainly has found the correct media for expression. I'm in nearby Hendersonville and would love to make a visit to your studio at some time -- even better, I'd love to have you come give a talk/demonstration to the Western NC Woodworkers Association sometime later this year if you could. Send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS