Finally motivated

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
i can't explain why I put it off for so long, but I finally created an urn for my father's ashes. It is based on the NCWW Urns for Veterans for the design and general size. I picked up some 4/4 walnut at GPS Hardwoods on Thursday. Measuring almost an inch thick, I did not run this through the thickness planer.

I did not have a lock miter bit, so I created a sled in order to make the miter cuts on my table saw, set a stop block. It was cut so the grain wrapped around the piece.

Glued the miters, wrapped with blue painters tape to hold together while the adding some 90 degree blocks and a few clamps.

While the glue was drying, I worked on the top and base, squared them up and routed the edges. Plenty of sanding, followed with a coat of clear shellac, and finished with 3 coats of brush on lacquer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The (almost) finished urn is sitting on a piece of unfinished walnut that the top and base were cut from.

Attachments

• 20180812_184553.jpg
    20180812_184553.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180812_184630.jpg
    20180812_184630.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Urn-Front.jpg
    Urn-Front.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Urn-Corner.jpg
    Urn-Corner.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 172

bash

New User
bash
Very nice and very special. These type projects happen in their own time.
The continued grain around the corners adds.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Nicely crafted Neal! Almost too nice to ever be put in the ground, but you do make SkyMaster proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS