Finally introducing myself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

klfelkins

New User
Kristy
Hi everyone,
I am new to wood working, mostly focusing on turning bowls. We bought an older house just over 2 years ago and with it came a large shop. Of course when you buy an older home you need tools. My husband has a very can do attitude, and did a lot of carpentry work with his father in CA before we moved to NC. So when there is something that needs to be done in the house he says "draw it out and we can do it, but we will need...."
My husband has been tinkering with woodworking for the past yr and a half, and gradually the projects we do are getting more and more serious, and the shop is about out of room for tools (talk of adding on to it has been happening quite a bit lately :)
Our neighbor runs a tree service business and (about 2 years ago) said he can get us all the fire wood we'd need. The first load of wood he dropped off was a bunch of large straight red oaks. Thus the owning a mill discussion started. "If we had a mill we could mill up most of the wood we need for projects..." So now we have a logosol and eventually hope to purchase a band-saw mill :)
About 2 months ago I bought a small Delta lathe from a gentleman who referred me to this site. Well as any turner knows you always need a bigger stronger lathe, so that led me to purchasing a NOVA from another NCWW (super nice guy!:). I will post pictures of the couple of small bowls I made with the delta soon. So far I have only roughed out a bunch of green bowls with the NOVA.
I look forward to being part of this community, I love the positive attitude and willingness to help others. I look forward to learning all I can from everyone on this site.
Cheers
~Kristy

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Kristy. Would love to see some pics of the shop. We have soem sawyers in the area that can help you out until you get a bandsaw mill of your own.

Doug

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Kristy. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Sounds like you all are making some serious sawdust. :gar-Bi Definitely post some pictures of your shop, turnings, etc. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome - glad you joined us! It sounds like you have undertaken a lot of projects and may be developing a serious case of WoodGuy disease - lol! Please post pictures of things as you go along. We do love pictures!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome Kristy. Sure would like to hear your opinion of the Logosol, ease of use, quality of cut, etc. Which model did you folks buy, and which chain saw to power it with are you using? And--WE LOVE PICTURES!
Happy sawdusting!
:saw:

klfelkins

New User
Kristy
Hi Bruce,
I will snap some pics of the mill and the wood my husband has milled up with it so far and post them hopefully by this weekend (in the middle of a living room re-model....). We have the logosol M5 with a Sthil 066 power head. Compared to other chainsaw mill options that I have seen its great,and it was more then affordable when I found it. We got the saw (hardly used), mill, extra chains and bars for less then what it would cost to buy the saw alone. I am not the one who uses it, but I have cut a couple of boards, and was surprised at how easy it was to run the saw through. I am continually amazed at how something so light can be so strong. We have put that thing through a lot! It does what we need it to (for now), and we get to mill up wood for our future projects (full wet bar, kitchen cabinets and counter tops, flooring) which is a lot of fun :)
I will post more info and opinions on it when I get the pics up.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Hi Kristy,
Even though we've already Pm'd about some lathe stuff, let me also bid you welcome to the Forum. You've seen others post that they like pictures; the real truth is this: "If there isn't a picture it doesn't exist". Enjoy

Russ

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Kristy! Great to have another local turner in the group. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

eyekode

New User
Salem
Welcome to the site Kristy. It sounds like you have the wood supply chain worked out :). Post some pictures of your work!
Salem

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kristy!:icon_cheers

Always good to hear of a woodworker literally making their own stock to turn out some nice projects.

Looking forward to your future posts and possibly some pictures of your work!

Wayne

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Welcome Kristy! You bought a great powerhead in that '066; I use one for cutting large logs and like it quite a bit.

More power to you and your husband for your quest to be more self reliant and build your own furniture and cabnetry. I have found that being a "doer" instead of a "depender" is one of life's greatest rewards.

Scott

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome, glad you found us.
Nothing like woodworking, even better when you prepared the wood yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS