Finally found me a planer!

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
To date I have been using an Arrow 2030 (Makita 2030 under Arrow brand). The Arrow is a combination planer/jointer I p/u for free which had the cast motor mount broken off and missing. I mounted a motor underneath it and fabricated a pulley to match the 8 V head pulley and 7000 rpm specs. It has "worked" better than no planer but I truly needed :D wanted another.
Kept waiting and waiting but finally found a Powermatic 221. Made in USA, 1966, little use, good shape. 5HP, 3 phase, 20". Finally be able to plane some of the big RO boards I've been air drying for three years.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
sweet! That baby will hold some floor boards down for sure! (I know you have a concrete floor!)

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow! You could almost stick a whole tree inside that monster. Bruce is right - you do suck! :)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice, I just treated myself to the Dewalt DW734 as my first planer. Pretty happy with it but already nicked a blade. :confused:
I have the 734. The first time you change the blades, you will probably have great difficulty in breaking the screws loose. I suggest a new or very good condition bit, and an impact gun. I ended up rounding some off when doing it by hand, and had to use a chisel on the edge to get them loosened. Still looking for a source for replacement screws.

By the way, the blades are reversible, so you only need to flip the nicked one to get back to a smooth cut.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I have the 734. The first time you change the blades, you will probably have great difficulty in breaking the screws loose. I suggest a new or very good condition bit, and an impact gun. I ended up rounding some off when doing it by hand, and had to use a chisel on the edge to get them loosened. Still looking for a source for replacement screws.

By the way, the blades are reversible, so you only need to flip the nicked one to get back to a smooth cut.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and not "caveman" it!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Is that 221 a three knife or a four knife head? A four knife head was an option for a while.
That's a brutally strong machine that would easily cost 20K if sold today.
You're going to like the powered bed rollers.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Is that 221 a three knife or a four knife head? A four knife head was an option for a while.
That's a brutally strong machine that would easily cost 20K if sold today.
You're going to like the powered bed rollers.
Not sure, got a good deal, bought it sight unseen. When I first joined this sight I had a circular saw, chainsaw and a few hammers... now I've become a tool hoarder. On a tractor trailer headed my way.... I'm like a kid on Christmas eve! I've read a lot about the 221s (saw the name Bob V quite often) and everything is +++ with the exception of the quiet heads that have 20+ blades which are reportedly a pain to sharpen/adjust.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
It arrived yesterday! Had my shop helper so no problems or issues (our forklift engine blew a few days before arrival) but I was so excited it didn't even matter.

A friend with a business a few miles away so we loaded up on the trailer and slowly drove home to unload.

Unwrap

Original paperwork

Bought a three phase breaker box off Lejeune Yard Sales today for $20 including 20 breakers. Almost have my RPC ready so hopefully I'll be planing next week. This thing is a beast and appears to have little use.

Attachments

• DSC02896.JPG
    DSC02896.JPG
    818.2 KB · Views: 154

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Not everybody gets the heavy duty dust hood with their planer.
Congratulations. That would easily be a $20k machine if available today.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Not everybody gets the heavy duty dust hood with their planer.
Congratulations. That would easily be a $20k machine if available today.
20k? I need to sit down! I've watched your instructions on YT regarding proper planer set up. Hopefully I'll be able to get this one tuned in after a good cleaning/preventative maintenance. Still not sure on it's age, this one is serial # 82289. PM serial on other website would make this an 82?
Model 221 (20 inch)
N-nnnn 1955—64 "N" is the units digit of the year, beginning in 1955. "nnnn" is a number, beginning with 5525.
6N-nnnn 1965—67 "N" is the units digit of the year, beginning in 1965. "nnnn" is a number.
N22-nnnn 1968—77 "N" is the units digit of the year, beginning in 1968. "nnnn" is a number.
NN22-nnnn 1978—?? "NN" is the last two digits of the year, beginning in 1978. "nnnn" is a number.

Am I missing something? First digit a factory typo? Either way, it's staying!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS