Finally finished the table I promised my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
And got around to taking pics. Wore out my mortise chisels, had to re-sharpen once and need to again. A ton of M&Ts and through M&Ts. Minimal use of fasteners to just hardware and alignment pieces.
DSCN1282.JPG

DSCN1281.JPG

DSCN1278.JPG

DSCN1277.JPG

DSCN1276.JPG

DSCN1275.JPG

DSCN1274.JPG

DSCN1272.JPG

DSCN12711.JPG

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very, very nice, Zach. I'm also interested in the wood. It kinda looks like Gum. Lots of nice grain and character. :icon_thum

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Once again, great craftsmanship Zach! I think your score went way up with your wife!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. Is that a wormy maple table on a maple floor - really fits in nicely even if not. You done good.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Nice, I'm also interested in the slide mechanisms and how the leafs are hidden under the table top.

I'm slowly working on a draw leaf table for my sister, so your post is timely and may assist me in my quest.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Beautiful piece!

Give us some more details, wood, finish, etc.

Wood is 8/4 Ambrosia Maple from Wall Lumber. Finish is Rock Hard Table Top Varnish. Used Behlens Grain Filler before finishing. I can give my schedule if interested.

Ditto!

Can you share a little WIP of the expansion slider mechanisms? They don't look conventional (pics 3 & 4) so ??????

I came up with the slider mechanism. It's basically through mortise runners that alternate on each side of the outer leafs. I pinned a support on the ends to the sliders with dowels no glue. I screwed the cross support on the end so it can be taken apart. The middle of the base is through mortises which retain the sliders and provide support for the slider, they are dadoed to the side support rails. The leafs have guides I made that keep alignment when sliding. The middle leaf has similar alignment wood pieces that fit in the middle section and keep everything aligned in the middle. I am not 100% satisfied on the mechanism yet. I am working on improving the design for the next project. I can take pictures of items to help explain if you want.

Nice, I'm also interested in the slide mechanisms and how the leafs are hidden under the table top.

I'm slowly working on a draw leaf table for my sister, so your post is timely and may assist me in my quest.

The leaves don't hide when retracted, are you referring to the sliders?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice table zack. the top is stunning. I may need to try that finish one day. looks real nice. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am working on improving the design for the next project. I can take pictures of items to help explain if you want.

Yes that'd be helpful to go along with your explanation (we may have been thinking along similar lines). I made a farmhouse table several years ago with "guest board" leaves that attach to sliders at each end of the table. Similar to this but our designs are beefier imho...

https://vimeo.com/194706330

Reclaimed longleaf pine from circa 1880 train station in Kinston, NC.

P3210246.jpg

P3210242.jpg

Attachments

• P3210242.jpg
    P3210242.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 122

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Mine are not drop leaf. The leafs extend and the middle is placed in. Curious though, why put the cleats on cross grain application? Do they have play build in for expansion? I should be able to get more pics later. Wife has the room blocked off for floor polishing...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Mine are not drop leaf.

Neither is mine and the main body of the table doesn't change when the leaves are removed (did you watch the video?). Here's a better explanation and here are the guest boards like a regular table leaf.

Guest_Board_Table_.jpg

Guest_boards.jpg

The cross grain cleats have a lip which fits in a 1-2" l groove so the table top is free to expand/contract without restriction. See the first 40 seconds here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny53AyB1a6g

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Sorry, I didn't mean drop leaf in the sense that it was retained. I meant it in the sense that the extension is removed from the ends vice the center. The concept is the same as an add on the end vice a piece that expands and gets an additional piece for center. I do like your joinery, but what do you consider in the "beefier" side? I love improving a design. Thanks for the feedback!

Cato

New User
Bob
Zach, That is a great looking table, and even if I had detailed plans that I understood, LOL unlikely, it would probably take me years!! Great job and workmanship in all areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS