Finally finished my first furniture project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
OK guys, Here it is, my first furniture project. Let me start by saying nearly everthing involved with this project was a first for me from the design to the type of finish, so go easy on me.
(As you can see from the pics LOML wasted no time bringing in the girl's stuff)

Double bed/crib made from hickory with a spray lacquer finish.
Img_9881.jpg

View image in gallery

Full extension 26" drawer glides with 3/4" birch plywood boxes built using T&G joints

removable dividers​

Double arched raised panel Footboards/headboards

Framed magnetic boards on partition wall.

Headboards are small 3 drawer dressers which are designed to be removed and used separately once the girls outgrow the bed. Simply lift them out and install the mattress extensions, then reverse the beds and the footboard becomes the headboard.

Beds are finished on all sides so they can be used separately if the girls want their own room later. Backside of bed has false drawer fronts.

And here's confirmation of my decision to build the drawers entirely out of 3/4" ply and T&G joints

Along with most everthing else on this project this was the first time I ever worked with hickory and I'm convinced it has to be one of the hardest woods known to man.​

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow That is Truely Amazing!!!

I love the design, the color and all your nice work, joinery, and obvisouly the time you have put into the design and actual product.

You Rock!!! And Nice WoodWorking Skills!!!

Thanks for all the pictures as well they all ROCK!!!

algustaf

New User
Al
Very nice work. The modular design is a great way to get a lot of use out of that, as the kids will grow quick and your spare time to build new stuff will disappear quick too.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent work and a fantastic design!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Did you build from a plan of some sort?

I am sure that that little set will be enjoyed for quite a few years in the future.

Looks like you are a natural to me!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Very well executed!

Wayne

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
QUOTE=Tarhead;259108]Neat design! I'd drill a few ventilation holes in those long drawers.[/QUOTE]

No need to now as the wife filled them full.:gar-Bi

Excellent work and a fantastic design!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Did you build from a plan of some sort?

I am sure that that little set will be enjoyed for quite a few years in the future.

Looks like you are a natural to me!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Very well executed!

Wayne

We used to have a crib with some removable storage, but it was nothing more than an idea starter for this one. After sketching it I created a detailed drawing using DataCad.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Very unique as well as practical design. Nice choice of wood and excellent craftsmanship.
Welcome to the vortex of woodworking! :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

NCTurner

New User
Gary
The wife and I both say Great Job! That is some piece of furnitur efor your first. Seeing it as a family heirloom!

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Beautiful work!

Your daughter's will come to cherish this "1st project" even more when they have children of their own... which will come all too soon.... (trust me on this!)

However... in some ways, I really don't like this... AT ALL!!

(If LOML or my daughter see's this... I'M DOOMED!) :gar-Bi

Congratulations!

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the nice comments. There's no way I could have built this without the vast amount of information given freely on this forum. Thanks again.:notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS