Finally done- Dining Table

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
What seems like ages ago, I asked a few questions here about building a dining room table. What feels like years later, it is finally done. I'm grateful for the advise and expertise of this community in helping me with ideas and input.

My wife, ever patient, is a happy customer. It is 84x44, w/ a 2 inch thick appearing top (only wraps around 4 inches on every side). Made from Ash.

I learned a lot- cutting the profile in those pedestals was the most painful bit. I'd make a few different design and finish choices if I were to do it again...but time was running out- so its done!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_5681.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_569e.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, looks great, congratulations on the accomplishment. So are chairs in the near future?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great! I need to make one and it will be somewhat similar in style but will have a very dark base, I am thinking of staining softwood with ink, and a natural cherry top. The only kitchen chairs that I have had the patience to make are these:

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/stylish-dining-chair/

I've made 8 so far, 4 for me and 4 for my daughter, but have made the version with horizontal slats across the back. I think its less formal that way and we use them for our kitchen tables. I might do the vertical slats for the dining room. But the table will come first and it is not the next thing on my list - but I hope to make it by Thanksgiving. it will not be as involved as yours.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks great. Getting ready to build a similar style table for my younger brother. If mine look 75% as good I'll consider it a success. The pedestals are what I'm still ruminating over. Are the pedestals glue ups? Solid? Any ideas, lessons learned will be appreciated.

***Just located your previous posts regarding the build

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and you didn't need to be in a hurry to begin with.

It is 84x44, w/ a 2 inch thick appearing top (only wraps around 4 inches on every side). Made from Ash.

Can you describe how you did that to make the table appear thicker (a sketch drawing would be helpful to me). How thick was the ash that you bought and began with (1" or 2")?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Jeff, I think he just doubled up on the material around the edge. That is what I would do, at least. Unless you get down and look underneith, you wouldn't notice it.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice! What style of chair are you going to use to compliment that table?

gritz

New User
Robert
Very well executed. the arcs in the pedestals echo the arcs in the feet. How were they cut?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! The table looks beautiful as well as heavy! Thank you for sharing!

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Looks great. Getting ready to build a similar style table for my younger brother. If mine look 75% as good I'll consider it a success. The pedestals are what I'm still ruminating over. Are the pedestals glue ups? Solid? Any ideas, lessons learned will be appreciated.

***Just located your previous posts regarding the build
I made the pedestals out of 6 8/4 boards each- so they are solid throughout. To get a sense of scale- they are approximately 9x8 at their widest part.

This is where most of my lessons learned came in. I made them with a combination of a series of table saw cuts with an angled blade and then using the bandsaw for the more nuanced curves. A couple of lessons learned:
- when i glued up the 5 (or 6? Don’t remember) 8/4 boards, trimming the resultant beast to final dimensions on my equipment was a HUGE pain.
- the table saw blade height wouldn’t cut through full even when rotating the stock.
- My little 14 inch band saw was way under powered and I ruined at least 2 blades trying to get the curves in the stock.
- It was heavy. Real heavy. Wood choice matters a lot. I chose ash for cost/hardness...but man its heavy.
- If you dont love sanding (does anyone?), consider a simpler design on the profile. Sanding those profiles took a long time to get right...close up they aren’t awesome- but the dark stain hides some of the sins..

Hope this helps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS