Finally a green turned bowl I am proud of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Well This is what I call my first real sucess on the lathe with a green bowl blank. I got this lovely hunk of tree at the picnic, I got mi Ci0 and Ci1 in the mail monday. So its Wensday and here is the end result. It has a few problems but I am happy with it anyway. Thanks For looking.

Mark

bowl31.JPG

inside_3.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cool, very unique form...I like it :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mark - nice job:icon_thum Give us a head up on the new Ci0 and the Ci1 = how did you like the Ci0

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I am impessed and I can be with the CI0. This thins is THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
I dont think i could have hollowed this with out it . The CI1 was great on the outside but not so good on the inside. CI0 cut the green wood like a fat man through a doughnut. Shavings flying every where. It was a pure pleasure. This bowl was left a bit thick but Ill get them thinner as time goes by. How thin is to thin? that is the new green turning question?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I am impessed and I can be with the CI0. This thins is THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
I dont think i could have hollowed this with out it . The CI1 was great on the outside but not so good on the inside. CI0 cut the green wood like a fat man through a doughnut. Shavings flying every where. It was a pure pleasure. This bowl was left a bit thick but Ill get them thinner as time goes by. How thin is to thin? that is the new green turning question?

It looks like I am going to have to make a few extra bucks from somewhere and get one of thise Ci0's as far as "how thin" go as thin as you feel comfortable - The video I have the guy goes so thin that you can see his hand on the outside of it after he stopped the lathe and he checked his work

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great job on the turning Mark. Now you've got me itching to jump on that deal. I need to find some things to sell quickly before the special runs out! Thanks for posting your thoughts on the tools. I keep hearing great things about them. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How thin is too thin? When the outside diameter meets the inside diameter.
BTDT :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_naug:eusa_naug:eusa_naug:eusa_naug

Dave:)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice piece of wood, and nice work from it.
Remember every cut is practice.

Thin is as thin as you want it to be. Years ago I got hung up on thin and ruined a bunch of nice pieces going too thin, and ruined some I'd finished by deciding they needed to be thinned down. Too thin as Dave said is when the inside and outside meet.
I've seen lampshades that were turned thin enough to see through and pieces that were indented as opposed to hollowed. Who is to say what is right? The turner. Go with what you like and are comfortable with.
FWIW, I found looking at pottery helped my eye a lot with lathe work. Potters have the ability to redo and change and start over that we'll never have. Looking at lines of their bowls helped me see the lines that I like for different sizes and height ratios.

I hope to have some of Craig's tools. Everything I read about them is almost the same - quality and efficient. Did you get them handled or choose to make your own?

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I got mine with handels. I havent tried to make a handel yet, altho I have 4 nice pieces of ash just waiting for a someday. Thanks for looking.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS