Final episode in building a Dory

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Tips from a Shipwright featuring Louis Sauzedde

Here's a guy( Master Shipwright Louis Sauzedde) I met when I was a kid visiting Block Island RI . Years later I met him and his brother at a boat show in Mass. and he was just like he is in his videos. Full of life and ready to go. In this one I think he is 75 or better and look at him in the water. I stumbled on this video while searching for some "long varnish" from Jamestown Supplies.

He is still working in Warwick these days and doing repairs on anything built with wood.

He as 36 episodes leading up to this final episode take a look. You might see how to build a straked Dory.

till then

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
There are some serious hours ahead with this series of videos -- just watched the first one and I'm hooked! BTW, to help understand my keen interest and early inspiration, I lived in RI for ten years and while there took a small boat building class from the great John Gardner at Mystic Seaport in nearby Connecticut. That was over 40 years ago.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Like you Rob, I spent 3 weeks in the bunkhouse while doing training and schooling in 1965. There were a couple other boys that got selected to "work" as volunteers for Mr Gardner. In a similar way to Wallace Gusler's revival of the longrifle, he just took the small boat world that had died as he grew up and saved the skills thru workshops and books.

Louis is making his living at maintaining boats in his yard today and occasionally building one he has in his head. Louis began as a young man and never left the spot he is in today. If you search around you too will get hooked on this clever craftsman. It takes a special person to look at troubles and get the ball rolling back to an operating vessel.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've also seen several of the Louis Sazzedde videos often presented by Jamestown Distributors. Here's a list of his videos.

I think that a long varnish is the same as marine spar varnish like Epifanes from Jamestown Dist.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS