File/Rasp Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Hi people. Been spending time on one of the metal forums a lot lately. Got a very good tip the other day and thought I'd pass it along. Had to buy a couple of new metal files. Didn't feel like turning more file handles. One of the guys had mentioned using golf balls for file handles. Everyone thought that was a hoot, but I had a pack of cheap ball I'd gotten for something, I don't play golf, so figured I'd try it. Wilson balls, made in China, says clear outer jacket. Apparently the ball is solid plastic, drilled very easily. And works like a charm. A couple of whacks to seat the handle, the ball fits in the pocket of my hand, and makes filing absolutely great. Ever so much better than any file handles I've run across before.
191.JPG

View image in gallery

JOAT

New User
Theo
No prob. I think I'll knock the turned handles off my rasps and put golf balls on them too. Definitely need to lay in a supply of golf balls, if I can find more of these.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
hey Theo. just one word of caution. some golf balls have a high pressure liquid core. I found this out as a teen. Don't know if they still make them but it shur is a shocker when it explodes........ I dont know if it would hurt you [didnt hurt me and little brother] but it might make the ol ticker skip a beat.:rotflm: it's more of a pop and it spits this stuff all over the place. :gar-Bi

JOAT

New User
Theo
Hey Charlie. Now whatever would I need a bulldozer for? Nah, I'm making a mouser rifle. From scratch. With files. :qright5:

Hi Fred. That was what I was expecting. At least rubber bands. Very surprised when all the shavings came out plastic. :eusa_danc

Later
Theo

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That was what I was expecting. At least rubber bands. Very surprised when all the shavings came out plastic. :eusa_danc
Golf balls musta come from Putt - Putt.:gar-La;:gar-La;

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Cool idea but why not turn a wooden ball that will fit your hand that way you can customize the fit:dontknow: JAT

JOAT

New User
Theo
Feeling too ickypoo to get shop time in today. Did finally get around to googling how golf balls are made. Turns out there are two basic types, the ones made for the real golfers and pros, the three part type - outer shell, rubber band, then a rubber ball in the center, either filled with sugar water, or hollow. Then there's the two balls, made for the casual golfers and putt putt. Thes have the outer shell, and a solid core, and are cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS