Figuring band saw blade length

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I just got my e-mail newletter from Wood Mag and they had the following free tip for measuring blade length on a band saw. It sure beats tying a string around the wheels.

Dan C.

How do you figure the length for a band saw that doesn't have a blade to measure from?

If you lost your band saw owner's manual and don't have a blade to measure from, or if you've added riser blocks, put this simple math formula to work to determine your tool's blade length:
Blade length = (2xA) + (3.14xB)

Key:
A= distance in inches between band saw wheel centers when the upper wheel is midway in its adjustment range
B= bandsaw wheel diameter

Badabing

New User
Joe
Nice! a little high school math, how nice it must be to be able to remember those types of formulas :rolf:

Thanks for the info Dan. It will definitely come in handy when I get a riser block for my BS!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you don't have a calculator handy, you also could take a string (something like Mason's line that doesn't stretch) and wrap it tightly around both wheels as it was the blade. The lay it out and measure the distance.
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dan,

I like the way of measuring you suggest, not to sound stupid, but where would you measure the top wheel at; Either the bottom of the tension adjustment or the middle of the tension adjustment.

Thanks,
Jimmy:)

I just got my e-mail newletter from Wood Mag and they had the following free tip for measuring blade length on a band saw. It sure beats tying a string around the wheels.

Dan C.

How do you figure the length for a band saw that doesn't have a blade to measure from?

If you lost your band saw owner's manual and don't have a blade to measure from, or if you've added riser blocks, put this simple math formula to work to determine your tool's blade length:
Blade length = (2xA) + (3.14xB)
Key:
A= distance in inches between band saw wheel centers when the upper wheel is midway in its adjustment range
B= bandsaw wheel diameter

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Jimmy,

There was a picture that came w/the tip but for some reason (most likely operator error) I can't seem to paste the picture in the post.

The picture shows the "A" measurment to be from from the center of each wheel hub. I would assume that the blade tension spring would be set normal.

Dan C.

J

jeff...

I just buy them 13' 2" and they always seem to fit, no fancy math required :-D

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Jeff, Have you tried some 158 inch blades? I think they will also work. (Too good to pass up.) Happy sawing. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS