Few pics from recent flooring project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
A while back the LOML and I decided to "redo" our outdated foyer. This project morphed into redoing all the upstairs flooring, doors and trim. I only have a couple of before pics. (I'm bad about not taking them before a project starts. lol)

Flooring is prefinished maple from Bruce in "Sumatra" stain. I have some touching up to do on the trim, but I'm pretty much done.

Upper section of stairs with the carpet.
100_2771.jpg

Removing carpet.
100_2770.jpg

Old oak flooring that I removed from the foyer. This stuff was glued, screwed and nailed. It took me about 4 hours to remove this small area of flooring. :BangHead:
100_2769.jpg

New flooring in entry way and lower section of stairs.
100_3045.jpg

Upper section of stairs.
100_3041.jpg

Living room.
100_3044.jpg

Loving room looking across hall into dining room. (Ignore the love seat in the dining room. lol)
100_3042.jpg

Hallway.
100_3040.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It never fails that when you start a home improvement project it morphs into something much larger. You did a nice job. The floor is beautiful. You're not really gonna walk on it are you?:gar-Bi

ACobra289

New User
Bill
It never fails that when you start a home improvement project it morphs into something much larger. You did a nice job. The floor is beautiful. You're not really gonna walk on it are you?:gar-Bi
Thanks Tracy. Yea, once you start doing one thing, it leads to another, and another.... it's a never ending thing.

Well, we do try to keep from wearing our shoes on it toooo much. And once I saw what our 15 pound Jack Russell terrier's sharp claws were doing to the floor, he has been relegated to the back yard. :gar-La; But it didn't take me long to realize it's a floor and it WILL get scratched and dented up. Shoot, I had some dings and stuff before I had even finished it. :BangHead:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Always glad to see someone tackle stair & floor redos. Nowadays most 'builders' around here just leave a hole in the framing & call a stair company to bring out a shop built assembly & place it. Good job on the floor, too.:icon_thum

R

rickc

VERY nice! :icon_chee It came out looking wonderful.

Wondering, though - if the dog went to the backyard, how much longer before there are "pads" under the legs of the furniture? :icon_scra

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That came out looking great! I admire your patience, that was a LOT of detailed work. Hope you like the way it came out, because it looks solid enough to last 50 years!
Loving room looking across hall into dining room.
Certainly a labor of love :rotflm:

ACobra289

New User
Bill
That came out looking great! I admire your patience, that was a LOT of detailed work. Hope you like the way it came out, because it looks solid enough to last 50 years!

Certainly a labor of love :rotflm:

Dangit! I try so hard not to have any typos. :rolf: Well, it was very late when I posted that, so I will give myself a pass on that one. :gar-La;

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nicely done, I can certainly empathize, I had a few of those projects that expanded of their own accord in my last house. :wsmile:

Steve W

New User
Steve
Looks good, Bill!
I did my kitchen floor in prefinished oak last year. Ditto for a few scratches & dents before I was even done! That finish is pretty tough, though. Our cats go screaming around the corner from time to time in full-racing drift and I see no scratching yet.:rotflm:

:kermit: Steve

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Looks great! Did you find the stairs to be difficult? Next on my list after the kitchen is laying down hardwood on the stairs. Any reason you decided to go with the painted backer instead of solid wood all the way up? I'm trying to make my mind up on that myself.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Looks great! Did you find the stairs to be difficult? Next on my list after the kitchen is laying down hardwood on the stairs. Any reason you decided to go with the painted backer instead of solid wood all the way up? I'm trying to make my mind up on that myself.

Thanks Eric. The stairs were not real difficult, just time consuming. Especially if you are putting down strips instead of solid treads. I could have used 1 piece per row, but I preferred the look of 2 pieces per row, making sure to stagger the joints as best as possible. And each row has to be cut to fit so it will be tight against the skirt. You can't assume your stairs are square all the way up. So I would just get it close and then shave down the piece till it fit pretty tight.

Price wise, it's probably cheaper to use solid treads instead of strips because the stair nose pieces that match the prefinished flooring are very expensive. But having no experience with stain, I wanted to make sure the stairs matched the rest of the flooring in the house.

As for the white risers, it was purely an
[FONT=&quot]aesthetic choice. I saw some pics of stairs with strips on both the treads and risers and I preferred the look with the white risers. Now if you are using solid treads and risers, it would probably look fine stained the same color.

Let me know if you have any questions on the procedure for doing the steps.

Good luck!
Bill M.

[/FONT]

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Bill, as a former flooring installer, I must say you did a fine job! full treads are not usually any cheaper than the route you took, and they are often more finicky on the install - had more than a few skirts that the homeowner didn't want changed that weren't straight

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Thanks Bill. I'm still in the "thinking about it" phase but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get done. Of course, was talking to my SO last night and she mentioned that it may be a good idea to do the landing and hallway upstairs as well, leaving the bedrooms carpeted. Makes sense of course, but I was hoping to get away with just doing the stairs!

I found this link, was going to study it more closely when I get closer to the project, and post a plea for help on here for anything I don't understand :D

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/stairs.htm

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks Bill. I'm still in the "thinking about it" phase but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get done. Of course, was talking to my SO last night and she mentioned that it may be a good idea to do the landing and hallway upstairs as well, leaving the bedrooms carpeted. Makes sense of course, but I was hoping to get away with just doing the stairs!

I found this link, was going to study it more closely when I get closer to the project, and post a plea for help on here for anything I don't understand :D

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/stairs.htm

I know what you mean. This project started out as just doing the foyer. Then the steps, then the upstairs (other than the bedrooms.) One things always leads to another...

That's a good website you listed. I got lots of information from there.

Here is another good forum if you have any specific questions.

http://www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com/phpbb2/index.php

If/when you decide to do it, good luck. It's a worthwhile project.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS