Festool Vacuums / Dust Collector information

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I mentioned in another recent post that I visited KWS (Klingspor Woodworking Shop) and I spoke with Eric Horton. (a self-labeled Festool addict)

I have a TS55 and an ETS-125 when Festool did the $99 deal. Since then, I have though I wanted a Festool vac / dust collector, but simply haven't made it a priority due the cost of entry.
So I was fortunate to have not only a well-informed sales person at a business I trust, but someone who knows even more specifics about a product because he believes in them.

Last year Festool released the CT15.
This is a 15 liter vacuum / dust collector and is priced at $349, so an interesting entry product since the other vacuum products are double to even higher cost.

It was interesting, as Eric and I discussed it, why this isn't such a good deal as it looks like on the surface...
1. The CT15 does not have hose storage.
2. The included hose is not the new version. (anti static, braised etc.) (you can buy it for $170 - $250 dependent upon length)
3.The CT15 does not have cord storage. (you can buy it for $49)
4. The CT15 does not have a "tow-kick" wheel-lock / unlock.
5. The CT 15 does not have bluetooth.
6. The design does not allow for systainer attachment

The next step up is the CT Mini - for $590.
This model does have all the newest bells and whistles included, but the capacity is quite small at 2.6 Gallons (9.8 liters)

BUT for $50 more ($640) you can purchase the CT MIDI

You likely already guessed it - I did NOT drop $640 for a vacuum yesterday... especially since I thought I could buy one for ~$350 and was not mentally prepared to spend nearly double that.

The real point of my post is that research was the key to choosing a product that I will end-up purchasing and that research was easier because I was able to speak with a knowledgeable person who is a woodworker and who is working at a company that I trust.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I would disagree with those statements being a reason to not get the CT15 if you already haveTS55 and ETS-125 and want to stay in the Festool ecosystem.

1. The CT15 does not have hose storage. - $10 tote box from Lowes solves this problem.
2. The included hose is not the new version. (anti static, braised etc.) (you can buy it for $170 - $250 dependent upon length) - The older hose works fine.
3.The CT15 does not have cord storage. (you can buy it for $49) - $2 worth of Velcro and this problem solved.
4. The CT15 does not have a "tow-kick" wheel-lock / unlock. - minor inconvenience, but I've never locked the wheels on my CT36, not even sure if it has one.
5. The CT 15 does not have bluetooth. - Not needed on a vacuum.
6. The design does not allow for systainer attachment - this would be the only reason I'd lean away from it, I like the Festool cyclone I put on my with the systainer attachment, but not a deal breaker.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would disagree with those statements being a reason to not get the CT15 if you already haveTS55 and ETS-125 and want to stay in the Festool ecosystem.

1. The CT15 does not have hose storage. - $10 tote box from Lowes solves this problem.
2. The included hose is not the new version. (anti static, braised etc.) (you can buy it for $170 - $250 dependent upon length) - The older hose works fine.
3.The CT15 does not have cord storage. (you can buy it for $49) - $2 worth of Velcro and this problem solved.
4. The CT15 does not have a "tow-kick" wheel-lock / unlock. - minor inconvenience, but I've never locked the wheels on my CT36, not even sure if it has one.
5. The CT 15 does not have bluetooth. - Not needed on a vacuum.
6. The design does not allow for systainer attachment - this would be the only reason I'd lean away from it, I like the Festool cyclone I put on my with the systainer attachment, but not a deal breaker.
Oh, I agree with your point, many of these are "nice to haves" but I think if you spent $350 on a tool, you would have buyers remorse if you had to do those "fixes" or if you didn't realize what the Festool designers "left-off" this "low-priced" version... (I know I would have)
I think the real problem I have is the number of items. if it simply didn't have bluetooth... NBD - if it didn't have the antistatic hose, but there are 6 reasons that add-up to make me not want to choose this tool.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
if it didn't have the antistatic hose, but there are 6 reasons that add-up to make me not want to choose this tool.

Well 6 reasons to not buy it, and $250 reasons to buy it :D over the higher priced ones. I think they did it to get a price point more people could live with, especially compared to a $100 shop vac from a big box reseller. I've got Ridgid vacs, 2 FEIN vacs, and the Festool, and the Festool is my favorite, although I am not a fan of the hose storage, I always just end up wrapping it around the cyclone.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@chris_goris and @Mike Davis yes, Bluetooth allows you to turn on and off the vacuum remotely so you don't make that one cut because you don't want to run over and turn the dust collector on.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I simply plug my TS55 into the vac and put the switch on AUTO. When I start the tool, the vac starts too. Easy, no Bluetooth needed.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I simply plug my TS55 into the vac and put the switch on AUTO. When I start the tool, the vac starts too. Easy, no Bluetooth needed.
and you bring up a good question - I didn't ask if the CT 15 has that feature...
I looked, and it seems to have the outlet (under cover) on the front of the unit, but there is nothing in the write-up about the tool-slave feature...

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
No, but I found this:
An economical choice, the CT 15 includes many of the standard features found other Festool dust extractor models. Auto-start tool-triggered activation, Full HEPA Unit Certification, variable suction, a touch control panel, and 3-year comprehensive warranty which covered wear and tear. The CT 15 offers a compact footprint and lightweight design that are well suited for jobsite use.

You don‘t need blue tooth.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the cyclone attachment on top of my Festool Vacuum. Works great - haven't had to empty the bag inside the vacuum since adding it. It attaches to the vac via the Systainer connection. Rides on top of it.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I hemmed and hawed about it like you did, then mounted up, drove to Woodcraft and bought a CT36.

In a couple weeks I didn’t miss the money, and every time I use it, I‘m glad I took the plunge.

That said, the Fein seems like a good machine, too. I’m considering getting one to use as a dedicated collector for my disc/drum and spindle sanders.

If for no other reason than I’m sick of the noise a shop vac makes.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the cyclone attachment on top of my Festool Vacuum. Works great - haven't had to empty the bag inside the vacuum since adding it. It attaches to the vac via the Systainer connection. Rides on top of it.
Yes - and that is a major reason NOT to purchase the CT15 because the Festool cyclone would not attach to it!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hemmed and hawed about it like you did, then mounted up, drove to Woodcraft and bought a CT36.

In a couple weeks I didn’t miss the money, and every time I use it, I‘m glad I took the plunge.

That said, the Fein seems like a good machine, too. I’m considering getting one to use as a dedicated collector for my disc/drum and spindle sanders.

If for no other reason than I’m sick of the noise a shop vac makes.
Yes, I am curious if a Fein is a good alternative, but I am having a Green moment, it disappears when it is time to spend $600-$700! :D :cool:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS