Festool sander problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I recently purchased a festool rotex 90 dx sander and have been pleased with the performance. However.... I had a couple of occasions that I had been using the sander , turned it off and it did not start back when I turned the switch back on. Tonight it did it again but will not turn back on. I tried another cord, no luck, I plugged into an electrical outlet direclly, no luck. The dust extractor is working si it appears to be getting no power.

the sander is only a couple of months old so it is under warranty. Before I take it back or send it back to festool, am I just missing something?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Have you made sure that it was fully switched to either rotex mode or orbital mode? That is just a random thought...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've had the same thing happen w/ my RO 150. Each time it was a loose cord at the sander. Twist to make sure it is locked in.

cyclopentadiene

User
Tried these again today. No luck. I called festool and the server ce department suggested just sending the sander in for service. I assume they must be having switch problems.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Interesting. So how does that work? Do you have to pay for shipping even though the item is still under warranty?

cyclopentadiene

User
No, excellent customer service. You log a service return and print a ups label. They provide 48 hour turnaround plus shipping time. It will be interesting if I ship tomorrow as it is a holiday weekend but theoretically should be returned by next weekend.

i have nothing but positive to say about festool. Yes they are expensive but first class is only 20% more! The sander has saved me so much work on my chair project it has paid for itself in time.

there are a few tools that I have no regrets and all are the premier companies.

Sawstop
Lie Nielsen
Veritas
Festool
woodpeckers
Incra
Auriou

most others I have purchased have been hit or miss.

The premier companies have excellent quality and excellent customer service.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
there are a few tools that I have no regrets and all are the premier companies.

Sawstop
Lie Nielsen
Veritas
Festool
woodpeckers
Incra
Auriou

most others I have purchased have been hit or miss.

The premier companies have excellent quality and excellent customer service.

I agree, I have purchased tools from these companies and enjoyed excellent product quality as well as service.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Festool is great. However, is it ok if I and the other jealous folks take a small amount of pleasure when there's news of a problem?

cyclopentadiene

User
I have a tool strategy. I build what I like. If my wife does not like it, I sell it. I then use some of the proceeds to maintain my lumber supply and save until I sell enough to buy the tools I want. Some goals take longer than others, especially if I run across a good deal. My current quest is the slider table for my sawstop. Progress has been slow as each time I build up some excess funds I keep finding items lower on my list and have to start over.

this is sort of the Bill Gates philosophy he used in hiring whe Microsoft started. Maintain at n-1 ( the number you need less one) as when you are looking the right employee is not available but if you always have an opening, you have a position when you run across a good candidate. I use this in business and in my woodworking hobby.

Cuttent list
1) sawstop slider
2) festool domino
3) hammer jointer planer combo with spiral head

i will get there eventually but if I run across deals on items not on the short list, I will move. The only problem with the strategy is I keep buying lumber when I find a good price. I currently have a 3 year supply based on my rate of completing projects but I still cannot resist when there are new lumber opportunities. I need therapy and control in this area.

cyclopentadiene

User
I am highly impressed by the customer service at Festool. I shipped the sander last Saturday using the prepaid UPS label printed from the festool service page. Note this was a Holiday with Easter Sunday and many recognizing Monday as the Holiday. I received my sander back on Thursday this week with a note of an electrical switch replacement. They also cleaned the unit.

This was first class service and they have 3 year warranties. The tools are expensive but work extremely well and this level of customer service justifies the cost even more!

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have several Festools. Always agonized over the price, but never regretted the purchase.

They are well made and good to know they are well supported as well. I never doubted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS