Festool sander - dust port adapter?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Having purchased the 'entry level' Festool sander a few years back, I have struggled to adapt some fixture to the dust collection port. Lately at the advice of a store employee, I searched plumbing fixtures and found that a sink drain extension fit over the dust port, but loosely. With an old inner tube as an adapter (inside the tube), it fit and stays. The larger end fits into my dust collection hose that has a rubber (flexible) termination. This does not lock onto the hose the way a real Festool hose would, but it only cost a few bucks and it works (after cutting away the unnecessary portions). As long I ensure that I don't tug hard on the hose during use, it works for me.

20210302_133910.jpg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks @Henry W, I too was having a problem with adaptation to "Mere Mortal" dust collection, I STILL have not forked-over the money for a Festool CT product or a Fein vacuum... meaning I did everything we do, duct tape, fittings to differing levels of success... I saw the Rockler dust right flexiport was on sale or discounted and I purchased it - and WOW, great product and SUPER-Easily adapted to my Shop Vac... The main benefit is the ease of removal and reattachment, while not needing to me to ne "Gentle" handing the saw or sander...YMMV

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... I saw the Rockler dust right flexiport was on sale or discounted and I purchased it - and WOW, great product and SUPER-Easily adapted to my Shop Vac... The main benefit is the ease of removal and reattachment, while not needing to me to be "Gentle" handing the saw or sander...YMMV .....

Hey Hank - did you like the expandable hose in use?
I am uncertain whether I'd like that or be annoyed by it. Some reviewers report it contracting upon turning on vac, but there is always someone who is unhappy with even a great product.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Hank - did you like the expandable hose in use?
I am uncertain whether I'd like that or be annoyed by it. Some reviewers report it contracting upon turning on vac, but there is always someone who is unhappy with even a great product.
I don't like them, but I hung it and that seems to help... my intention was to create a "festool-like" boom system but it was more like a hillbilly version of "hey y'all" watch this!
with all that said, the purchase was worth it for the adaptors. I am wondering about their "life" (how long with the flexible portion stay flexible with sufficient grip...

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok that answers it pretty clearly - standard hose option is a better choice for me.

I too have suspended the existing hose - and it works pretty well. Not a perfect solution, but allows movement to:
- miter saw (mine just set on the bench when used, no permanent station) ,
- top guard for Table saw,
- track saw, and
- ROS sanders.
I've been happy to not have the hose underfoot - too many tripping hazards in my work space already; a power cord is easy to step on without incident, a hose not so much.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok that answers it pretty clearly - standard hose option is a better choice for me.

I too have suspended the existing hose - and it works pretty well. Not a perfect solution, but allows movement to:
- miter saw (mine just set on the bench when used, no permanent station) ,
- top guard for Table saw,
- track saw, and
- ROS sanders.
I've been happy to not have the hose underfoot - too many tripping hazards in my work space already; a power cord is easy to step on without incident, a hose not so much.
agreed - we have a Shark vacuum with a "Expandable" hose... I am not sure why they didn't call it a "retract when you least expect it" hose - THEY SUCK!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Google must have been listening in... I jsut got this in a FB feed -

I don't think these were available when I bought the dust right flexiport power tool hose kit. (below) These were the pieces that I was looking for, but in addition, there is an adaptor from the flexiport to a 2 1/2 in hose, which I didn't think about at the time, but was exactly what I needed... again, happy I got the kit, even if I don't like the hose...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS