Festool Gloat and Woodcraft rewards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Picked up my christmas present, a Festool Kapex! Setup was easy and I LOVE the way it cuts.

IMG_20111214_202849.jpg

I bought it at Woodcraft in Greensboro. The manager signed me up for Woodcraft rewards which gives you 4% back (I assume as a Woodcraft gift card?). He said he's going to continue doing it on Festool until someone tells him to stop!

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have been curious about the Festool miter saw. I just didn't understand what was different/better about the festool miter saw vs. a dewalt sliding compound miter saw (for example) that justified the large price increase. What is it that convinced you to go with Festool for this purchase? I haven't had the chance to use any Festool products, but I have heard good things about them. Just curious what your take is with the sliding compound miter saw.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I have been curious about the Festool miter saw. I just didn't understand what was different/better about the festool miter saw vs. a dewalt sliding compound miter saw (for example) that justified the large price increase. What is it that convinced you to go with Festool for this purchase? I haven't had the chance to use any Festool products, but I have heard good things about them. Just curious what your take is with the sliding compound miter saw.

I was frustrated with my Ridgid. The dust collection wasn't great, it was large for my size shop, and the way I operated the saw could make the cuts off a little - if I didn't pull out and push the saw back in smoothly I could move the blade ever so slightly. Most people probably wouldn't notice but it annoyed me. I wanted a more accurate, smaller saw with better dust collection. I looked at the Bosch Axial one and the Festool. I have other Festool tools and I love those so I knew the Kapex would be great. After watching lots of videos on YouTube and checking out the Festool at Woodcraft I new I'd be happy with it.

Festool also has great customer service. I contacted them by commenting on something they posted on Facebook. When I was setting up the saw last night the fences didn't seem 100% square. Someone called me this afternoon and helped me out. Once he explained how the saw was built, I was able to check the squareness tonight and I think it's OK. He said I could just take it back and try another one if I wanted to. Or they could just send me different parts if I was too far away to get it back to the store.

After making test cuts last night I've decided that any power tool purchase from now on will be a Festool (as long as they make one!). The lasers on the Kapex are awesome. I was able to adjust them perfectly so I can mark a board, line up the laser, make the cut, and end up dead on. I don't think I've ever been able to get the Ridgid dialed in as accurately as I did the Kapex. Their accuracy and quality can't be beat.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Geoff, congratulations on the new toyl! Looks like it's in good Festool company from what I can see in the background of your photo....

Ron, where the Kapex really shines is that it provides tablesaw quality cut accuracy and smoothness, but with the portability of a slider. It is hard to describe how it feels when using it; suffice to say that cutting through white oak boards is like cutting through butter - very smooth and easy.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Geoff, congratulations on the new toyl! Looks like it's in good Festool company from what I can see in the background of your photo....

Yes, it is in pretty good company. I've been extremely happy with the Festools. So much so I'll be selling everything they replaced: PC plunge router, 2-3 Ridgid cordless drills, PC biscuit joiner, PC sander and the 12" Ridgid SCMS (currently in the classifieds).

I even had a great experience with their technical support team. The left adjustable fence on the Kapex isn't perfectly square. I contacted Shane on Festool USA's Facebook page and he put me in touch with a technical support person. He called me Thursday and explained where to check for squareness (not where the "no hands here" stamping is). I stopped back at Woodcraft to see if they had a replacement but they didn't. After emailing Festool back he responded tonight saying that they will ship a replacement part to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS