Festool CT Cyclone Pre-Separator

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Love the idea but it is costly after the cost of a dust extractor. I weighed the options and do not think I will use $350 in bags in my lifetime. I am cheap and shake out full bags and reuse them a couple of times

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
what exactly does this thing do? It it like a separator in front of your Festool Vac? I mounted one of the 5 gal. dust deputy or mini units on top of mine and it works great! I think I have a pic... I'll check.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I guess the high price is for all the extra parts to make it stack on your Festool vac.

I am a big fan of cyclones. I use the CV-06 mini on my Fein vac, but had to make a cart for it.

Any cyclone will slightly drop the airflow. Darn physics. From the video, it does NOT look like much of a cyclone compared to real ones. Looks more like a baffle box that swirls around a little. The better a cyclone, the steeper and therefor taller, the cyclone. I guess the cone is sideways in the top. Can't tell. All I know is I get almost nothing in my Fein bag. I have not tried it yet for drywall but even with MDF it works well.

Shaking out bags is fine to get the big stuff out, but the fines will load up the bag reducing the air flow quite a bit. A proper cyclone reduces this quite a bit. Bags fatigue over time, letting the fines through and clogging the HEPA filter.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I've used mine on drywall and it did a great job, and I like it cause it stacks on top of the Festool vac, that's the #1 reason I spent the extra money on it over dust deputy or similar.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I've used mine on drywall and it did a great job, and I like it cause it stacks on top of the Festool vac, that's the #1 reason I spent the extra money on it over dust deputy or similar.
Guess I'll give my CV a try on drywall. :)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Can’t see with necessity. CT’s are intended for small tool collection, not really used like a shop vac.

I sure as heck would never use it on drywall......

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Can’t see with necessity. CT’s are intended for small tool collection, not really used like a shop vac.

I sure as heck would never use it on drywall......

I use my Fein with the CV cyclone as a shop vac all the time, as well as hooked to my small tools. Works exceedingly well. Not much difference between what lands on the floor and what tools produce. Lets me clean up the shop every day without putting any dust in the air and not filling up bags.

The question on drywall is the very fine size plugs most filters quickly. But so does MDF dust and other fines the cyclone does such a good job with.

Festool wants $1200 for JUST the sander. They don't stipulate the vac or the filtering system. Par for them I guess. But if I had to finish for a living...

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I got it for my ct22 and love it. I use the festool cleaning kit to keep my shop cleaner now that I am not worried about having to change the bags out. There are some bottle necks to watch out for that can make it seem like there is a loss of suction but once I found what to look for I have no issues with it anymore. Absolutely no problems with the Domino500 or RAS, the two tools that generate the most waste. Just need to be careful when vacing up floor sweepings.

SJWiehe

Steve
Corporate Member
I have one and have used it for over a year. I haven't noticed a loss of suction but maybe I don't pay close enough attention. I really like it as I routinely suck up things I don't mean to. It is easy to open the lid and pick the item out. It's just sitting on top of all of the dust. It has more than paid for it's self by not having to buy replacement dust bags for the vacuum.

I recommend it.

Steve

zapdafish

New User
Steve
please elaborate
gotta be careful with stuff like shavings from handplaning or small chips that end up in floor sweeping piles. Even small slips of paper like receipts. The bends in the cleaning connectors and where it connects to the systainer can catch a piece pretty easily and block off half or all of the flow.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS