Fence rail source?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
My back yard is surrounded with a 3 rail fence that I put in 25+ years ago.
Over time I’ve replaced a few rails but now I’m looking at close to a dozen that have succumbed to either time +/or falling limbs. (Yeah, that big)
2020 hindsight says I should have not let it get to this point, especially with prices being what they’ve become.
Once I get finished kicking myself, is there a source where I can get rough 4-sided rails without breaking the bank?
Is this something sawyers do?
One reason I delayed has been the quality of what’s readily available at the BORG. Hit and miss. When it looks good I buy it, but it’s been a while.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just a guess, but might contact the local small sawmills. They may have a customer you could make a deal with.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
did you need split-rail or just rough 3X or 4X?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Split rail. Sort of a diamond cross section
I know somebody WAY out here... north Greenville / Hendersonville area, but I would guess that is WAY too far and there MUST be someone out your way making them...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check out Country Home and Farm Supply in Pittsboro (cfhsupply.com) Was over there today, and they have a good inventory. Had to get some CCA treated posts for grape vines. Tired of ACA stuff that rots off even with the ground in about three years. Going there is like stepping into a 1950's farm supply store. Well worth the trip even if you don't buy anything. Just try to avoid Saturdays, as it's a ZOO!

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Lowes and Home Depot carry split rail fencing (be prepared for sticker shock). I'd also call a few fence installation companies and ask them if they'll part with a few.

Regards,

Rick

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
The spotty inventory and (ahem) quality of what 's available at Lowes and Home Depot is what got me here.
Looking into local small scale fence installers

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS