Fence Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have been asked to build a fence for some one and I need some material suggestions. Here is a sketch of what we are thinking of.

fence2.jpg

I was planning to use Ipe for the posts and Cypress for the slats. Unfortunately I got a price of over $2.00 per linear foot for 4x4 Ipe posts. That means the posts alone would be over $3500.00!8-O My client doesn't want to use PT lumber. Soooo... What suggestions do you guys have? I need something reasonable and available. Can I get 4x4 Cedar? I was really looking for contrasting woods, but that may not be feasible.

Thanks for the help!

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Black locust - hard to find but used for fence posts because it lasts for many, many years. Jeff?

jglord

New User
John
Just to confuse the debate further, how about using cypress for the posts. Cypress is very rot resistant. It grows in swamps and stands in water. I know they use cypress for the beds in mushroom houses where they are filled with a mixture of horse manure and ground corn stalks, kept warm and damp to promote the mushroom growth.:lol:

Maybe Ivey can get you cypress posts.

Since the fence rails are horizontal and off the ground, they will dry quickly and the choice is less critical.

Last edited:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Definitely not opposed to using Cypress for the posts. Ivey, do you have any 4x4 cypress? Locust would work great, but I don't know of a source. Redwood is another good option, I'll have to check on sources. Thanks for the input!

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I would urge caution in using either cypress or redwood for fence posts, pickets yes, but not the posts. You will be very sorry if you use either for posts in very short order. But don't take my word for it ask around - I believe you will find concurrence. If Jeff is willing to make Black locust 4 x4's you would be well served to take him up on the offer ...

Definitely not opposed to using Cypress for the posts. Ivey, do you have any 4x4 cypress? Locust would work great, but I don't know of a source. Redwood is another good option, I'll have to check on sources. Thanks for the input!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I would urge caution in using either cypress or redwood for fence posts, pickets yes, but not the posts. You will be very sorry if you use either for posts in very short order. But don't take my word for it ask around - I believe you will find concurrence. If Jeff is willing to make Black locust 4 x4's you would be well served to take him up on the offer ...

I'd like to know why redwood is a bad choice too. I have plans to make a couple of things for the back yard and redwood was one of the possibilities. I've seen arbors and trellises made from it.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
IMO, older growth Redwood was quite rot resistant, but the new growth stuff that is available now doesn't last very long in direct ground contact. I saw the post bases of a Redwood playset rot within a year.
MTCW,
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
IMO, older growth Redwood was quite rot resistant, but the new growth stuff that is available now doesn't last very long in direct ground contact. I saw the post bases of a Redwood playset rot within a year.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Dave, I would probably tar everything that would be below grade. Would that mitigate any problems?

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Anything that goes into the ground will naturally come into contact with water (bad). Water causes all kinds of problems for almost any variety of wood that comes in contact with it, with several notable exceptions, such as teak. When you bury a fence post the standing end will naturally soak up the water it finds (even when the ends are sealed) and then you are off to the races for rot problems. I am not sure what it is about black locust that makes it rot resistant - I just know that it is. Long before we had PTSYP farmers and others who built fences for utilitation purposes would seek out locust posts for its ability to survive longer than almost any other species.

Redwood and cypress are pretty as trim, but are not very rot resistant when stressed by ground water torture, as long as they can dry out they work fine. BTW - redwood will turn an ugly shade of black if it is not varnished and the varnish must be renewed regularly. And even then it is subject to water infiltration stains. Cedar/Cypress trim can be left unvarnished and will silver in time. They are both good for shingles, clapboards, trim boards, etc. There is a reason why CapeCod style homes used white cedar for their shingles and trim.

Nativespec

New User
David
You could use treated and then wrap it with another wood above ground (or just on the faces-not where the rails attach).

J

jeff...

Let me know if your looking for black locust for fence posts, I may be able to scrounge some up.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors