Fence Proximity to Blade

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Is 3/8" too close for fence-to-blade distance on a SawStop? I want to cut some rabbets without having to use a router. The second cut would not be a problem, but I'm wondering if there is an increased chance of kickback by a cutting distance of 3/8" on a 3/4" board run vertically through the saw.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
you can add an additional piece of wood to your fence to increase the distance to the blade. You should also do this to increase the stability of the vertical wood holding

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I don't think the distance between fence and blade will be a problem. I'd be more concerned about keeping the workpiece vertical. Depending on its length you might want to consider adding a tall fence to help stabilize the work.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
The tall fence is a good idea. I'm hoping the rest of my plan works as intended. If so, it will encourage me to do more of the shelving projects that are languishing.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't understand why the workpiece has to be held vertically against the fence unless you're not using a dado set and have to make 2 cuts, one horizontal and the second vertical.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS