Fence Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have been asked to build a custom fence around a back yard, about 250' of fence. We are thinking about using horizontal slats and I am thinking of using Ipe for the posts and cypress for the slats. I understand Ipe is quite difficult to work with. Do any of you guys have experience with it? Do you have any suggestions for alternate wood. The only specification so far is no PT lumber! It will include a gate with an automatic opener across the driveway. The house is a 1920's craftsman bungalow.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What I have done with Ipe, I have found it to machine well, but impossible to nail or screw without a good pilot hole. I haven't had any problems gluing it, and it takes an oil finish very well. The biggest problem I could see you running into is the shear weight of the Ipe posts. A 4" x 4" x 8' is going to run around 50# (it weighs about 69# per cubic foot).
Another wood with excellent rot resistant characteristics, and an appearance like Ipe, but with a lower cost and weight is known as Mangaris, Red or Yellow Balau, or Meranti (Shorea spp.). It could be an excellent choice if you can find it available.

MTCW,
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks Dave! I've never heard of the woods you mentioned, but I'll check into them. I'll probably need about 35~40 posts for the fence. Do you have any idea where I should start my search?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No idea where to find it in your neck of the woods. All the names I mentioned are for the same wood (at least genus of trees that is treated as the same).

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS