Fence Post Hole Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have started building the fence I have posted about in the past. Today I started digging the post holes using a one man auger with an 8" bit. I am now completely exhausted! The problem is the holes aren't done! I got about 12" down and hit clay that might as well be called brick! The auger wouldn't bite and just skipped off the hard clay. Any suggestions to get another 6~12" DOWN?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Now I don't know much about fence post holes, by my VERY LIMITED experience tells me to put some water down in that hole to soften the soil. We had to do that here and it worked like a champ after 10 minutes of soaking.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Ed, make sure that the cutting teeth on the auger are clear of grass, and debris. Lots of times while digging in clay this will stop the auger from cutting.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Tried that! Let it soak about 30 min. Didn't help much! I filled the holes before I left tonight, so hopefully they will be a little softer tomorrow evening. I'm thinking about getting a larger masonry bit and drilling multiple holes before hitting it with the auger.:dontknow:

Thanks Ivey! I think I kept it clear, but I did have to pull stuff off the bit occasionally!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have dug more post holes that I would like to admit...you'd think that I had a PHD :lol::lol:. The water soaking is an excellent suggestion. Also taking a "sharp-shooter" which is a long headed digging spade to knock some tooth in the "hard-pan" of clay can help also. I don't know how your auger is set up, but the one-man set-ups with the motor on top can really help to add extra weight to the effort. Another way is to rent a Toro Dingo or mini skid-steer loader of your favorite brand and use an auger attachment on it. The downward hydraulic force and power will knock out your holes in no time.
My favorite way is to get one of our laborers to do it, those guys will dig a hole in concrete with a dull shovel in no time.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Know where you are coming from, Ed!!!

Up in good old Canada, I had to drill about 30 post holes at least 48" deep!(In order to get below the frost line!:BangHead: ) I too soaked the hole with water and made sure that I let the weight of the motor on the end of the auger (two man) do most of the work. (Of course the outside temp was at about 75 degrees - not 95 degrees!!!:slap:)

My best advise is water soaking, cleaning the bit regularly and just letting the auger bit work away at it!

Good luck and take it real easy in all of this heat and humidity!

Wayne

nelsone

New User
Ed
And is fun, I was going to mention that method, but knew that you'd be along soon... :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

I thought about that, but the city may frown on it!:lol: I might have to look at the cost to rent a dingo. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

MikeH

New User
Mike
Ed I've got 2 furry post hole diggers I'll be glad to loan you. They would be more than happy to be able to dig without getting yelled at. :rolf::rolf::rolf:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm with Mike. Back in my lineman days, we dug holes for power poles by hand when we couldn't get the truck to them. That old digging bar and tamp will get you there, and if you're digging in dirt only, it'll break it up. Good for the biceps, too! If you were a little closer I'd bring my tractor and auger and dig 'em for you. Good luck.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ed,

I've dug a few hundred post holes in my life. Always used two handled posthole diggers and a digging bar. I tried a gas powered digger once. Darn thing caught a rock and liked to beat me to death.

If you have a dry well maybe Jeff can saw it up into post holes for you.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
they probably won't dig where you want them to, but they will dig plenty, at least that has been my experience.

Nativespec

New User
David
I was using a similar auger and the problem with the clay is getting the auger stuck. I ended up using a shovel and making some of the holes a larger diameter and using more concrete.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a one man auger. When either the cutting edge gets worn, or the pig tail (the part in the center that screws into ground) it is worthless. Renew them and be on my way. If you can locate a "Little Beaver" brand auger, they are much easier to use. They have a motor on a trolly, with an exrension arm and flexable drive shaft, that drives the auger. The arm helps to resist the momentium of the auger. These are one man units, that most of the fence contractor here use. I would resist the temptation to use concrete around post. I use crusher run, aka ABC, from the quarry. If you ever have to remove posts, the concrete is a bear. Add a litlle water to crusher run in hole and pack with a bar.

MikeH

New User
Mike
You know, I thought about that! I seem to remember seeing someone using water jets to dig holes. I'll bet it would make a muddy mess though!

When I was younger I worked in marine construction building seawalls and docks. That is how we sunk all our pilings. Of course it works a lot easier in sand than it does in clay. Lot less messy too! :slap: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS