Fein vac as good as Festool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I need to spend ~$250 dollars at WWS within the next two weeks. Due to changes with their credit card I need to exhaust my Rewards AND they upped the reward points 150% :eusa_danc

One item I'm seriously considering is the Fein 9-11-55 6 Gallon Turbo I shop vac. A number of folks have posted positively about the Festool vac.

Anyone have the Fein?
Is it comparable?

Regretfully, WWS doesn't stock the items on my priority list: Work Sharp 3000 and Lie Nielsen hand tools :wconfused:

TIA,
Roger

T

toolferone

I have a Fein Turbo III and I think it is a very good vac. I think the I and II are the same motor, just the capacity is different. The I and II are quiter then the III. I use mine all the time now when sanding and there is no more cloud of dust in the air with either my random orbit or belt sander. That is worth it to me right there!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I saw a review recently of the Fein in I believe Wood magazine. The Fein was ranked very well and had adapters to fit other brands of vacs. If it were me, I would do it.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Roger,
You can't go wrong with either Fein or Festool. Both are awesome vacs. I chose the Fein Turbo II over the middle Festool vac.
It was cheaper, has slightly better power, slightly quieter, can be cheaply adapted to the reusable Cleanstream HEPA (red, Sears version) filters ($39 at Lowes) and does not need disposable bags. The hoses are durable and all of my previous ShopVac attachments adapt. Be aware that the Festool Anti-static hoses don't like to be stepped on and can be permanently creased.
The only downside is the lack of a flat top to stack stuff on but I will have a solution to that problem soon.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have two Fein models (the mid-size ones) and they are great. Very quiet and powerful. The filters are excellent and make fine dust collection a snap.

Only downside ... they don't fit my festool without an adapter.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I can't remember where I put my tape measure two minutes ago, but I do remember a thread from last year on that other forum that talked about these two vacs.....My brain is filled with useless information.

Thank goodness wife's birthday is 1/1, anniversary is 2/29 and July 4th is 7/4. Those are things I can remember!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Big Fein is quiet and

POWERFUL

dust_can_001.JPG

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have the Festool, but I used the Fein at Klingspor during the demonstration on routing a bowl. I liked the easy of emptying it and it did not need bags! Buy the Fein!

Doug

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
BTW, if you have difficulty spending your money, I may have a few suggestions.... :rolf:

sawman

New User
Albert
Roger,
I have had the Turbo 1 for 5+ years and have no complaints. It is quite, needs no bags and you can count on it to work.
Enough stated.

Later,
Albert :saw:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow, ringing and universal endorsement :icon_thum
And the orange would go nicely with my green, gold, grey, yellow, and blue stuff :mrgreen:

Thanks for each and every response!
Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Roger, I have both and of course you are welcome to come over and compare.

But, I will mention one negative of the Fein. In fact, it is the same negative that I have with most Vacs of that general shape. The COG is high which makes it very unstable and a PITA when you try to drag it around by the hose. In fact that's why, I bought the festool originally.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

But, I will mention one negative of the Fein. In fact, it is the same negative that I have with most Vacs of that general shape. The COG is high which makes it very unstable and a PITA when you try to drag it around by the hose. In fact that's why, I bought the festool originally.

That's a real good point ... though it's only happened a handful of times from me, it can because it's a bit top heavy. One good thing ... the top is hooked on well and didn't open (so no mess!)

sapwood

New User
Roger

Thanks for the tipping tip :icon_thum
However, I have to decline the opportunity to come over and vacuum your shop :wtongue:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS