Fein Multimaster question

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimog

New User
CHO
Could someone share feedback on the Fein MM 6-38-06-183-01-3 profile sanding kit?

I am removing stains to my home doors with raised panel (N=10:BangHead:) and I am considering alternative to my current tool, a Skill octo sander. It is quite effective but the main problem I am experiencing is the detail plastic tool melting after a short period of time and at the same time the male velcro melting after only one side of the first door.

I am also open if you have suggestion to a better solution than the Fein MM or my current tool.

By the way anyone had success in fitting Fein attachments to other oscillating tool? I know there are adapter for third party attachments on Fein but I never seen adapter for the opposite.

Thanks

I have never used mine yet.... I do like the fact they you do not have to buy special sandpaper for it I would never buy the disc attachment cause it uses a special size disc not your normal disk size....

I think it would work fine is it worth the money they want for it...... if it save you time I guess...

If you cannot do what you need with a foam sanding block then I guess it would be worth a try

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I'm not sure if I entirely understand your applicaiton, but if you are suggesting using the MultiMaster as a detail sander I have found it to be a remarkably effective detail sander.

Originally I bought it because I wanted a good detail sander (including good dust collection) and it has performed quite admirably. Oddly enough, though, I've found that I've tended to use it more for its other capabilities lately than for its original intended purpose...

But then those other capabilities and its versatility are what really justify its purchase price IMHO. If you do purchase a *Fein* MM, opt for the tool-free model (250Q if memory serves me) as it does save a good deal of time over the cheaper variation that it not toolless.

As for comparisons to the various knockoff brands, I really can not offer any help there. They were only beginning to come on market when I bought my Fein... and once you buy the Fein MM you tend not to have too much interest in experimenting with the others.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Only used mine for one big job so far. Much better than the old PC detail sander. But you will have to remember to use it at LO speed or it too will throw off the paper. My original holder would not clamp tightly enough on one side, but Fein replaced the holder quickly.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
But you will have to remember to use it at LO speed or it too will throw off the paper.

+1 what Joe said. I would also think your current sander will probably do the job. Patience helps. I often get in too big a hurry and try to force tools to do the job faster. By using less pressure plus stopping and letting things cool down a bit may help with the melting issues you are having.
Good luck,

unimog

New User
CHO
I'm not sure if I entirely understand your applicaiton, but if you are suggesting using the MultiMaster as a detail sander I have found it to be a remarkably effective detail sander.

Originally I bought it because I wanted a good detail sander (including good dust collection) and it has performed quite admirably. Oddly enough, though, I've found that I've tended to use it more for its other capabilities lately than for its original intended purpose...

But then those other capabilities and its versatility are what really justify its purchase price IMHO. If you do purchase a *Fein* MM, opt for the tool-free model (250Q if memory serves me) as it does save a good deal of time over the cheaper variation that it not toolless.

As for comparisons to the various knockoff brands, I really can not offer any help there. They were only beginning to come on market when I bought my Fein... and once you buy the Fein MM you tend not to have too much interest in experimenting with the others.

Sorry, I probably asked too many questions in the same thread.

Yes I am considering the Fein MM for detail sending on the raised panel door details.The area to sand has curve shapes and at its widest section is only 1 1/4" wide.
My request for opinion is for durability of the Fein MM detail sanding kit and its proportional effectiveness compared to an orbital sander.

I also value RandyJ comment; no matter the tool I will use it is still going to require pacing and patience.

Regarding using Fein attachments on other oscillating tool, anyone has any experience to share?

Thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have both a Dremel MultiMax and the Skil Octo. When I and the wife were sanding some teak chairs to get them ready for some finish, we quickly gave up on the Octo and finished everything with the MM and a palm sander for the larger flat surfaces (there were one or two flat surfaces :) )

- Ken.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've used my HF single speed oscillating tool as a sander some. It was mostly to sand a beveled surface on drawer fronts something like a small raised panel effect. The sandpaper is hook and loop. It worked but the sanding pad wore out. I need another one now. There are two sizes of pads, I used the bigger one that came with the saw. I've also used this tool as a saw. I think it is remarkably impressive for the price. I have never used the Fein so I can't really comment on the difference between them.

Jim

unimog

New User
CHO
Well, I am finished with my first door but I also used 2 octo sander, the first had the attachment issue and the second one broke a plastic tab to hold the attachment insert onto the sending disk.
I will need to give a second look to the oscillating tool.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The oscillating tool has a lot more power and reliability than the Octo, but you'll definitely need hearing protection. It screams.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS