Fein Dust Extraction

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My Fein Turbo II dust extraction/vac purchased 12 years ago died on me yesterday! Ordered a new Turbo II today.

The first thing I noticed was that the new unit uses bags to collect the dust and debris. (My old one had a drop in filter and all of the debris dropped into the cannister. No throw away bags.)

Question I have to Fein and Festool owners is. Is there other options out there besides setting up a cyclone system (ie Dust Deputy) ie reusable bags? These disposable bags to my way of thinking would get expensive.

I did see a permanent drop in filter, similar to my old design for the new Fein Turbo II but at $82.00!

Just curious as to what other owners use for filter bags.

Wayne

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The bag in my Turbo II is 3 years old and I have never changed it. I use a cyclone from Clearview, much like the DD. It has maybe an inch of super fine dust in it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The down side of bags can be when you're vacuuming the floor and something small and useful gets sucked into the bag.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Only if you don't use a cyclone. Only the finest of fine gets into the bag. I mean finer than talc.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a Clearstream HEPA filter on mine inside the bag. The bag allows lots of junk through that will decrease the life of the blower unit and your lungs.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The bag in my Turbo II is 3 years old and I have never changed it. I use a cyclone from Clearview, much like the DD. It has maybe an inch of super fine dust in it.
Scott
Do you have the Clearview and Fein mounted on a cart of some sort?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I made this two-stage set-up:

1670632028951.png

And Powertec makes filter bags for a number of vacs. I bought some when I bought the Fein DE but haven't used any of them yet.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yup. Pretty short bucket so it fits under the outfeed and I did have to reinforce the bucket lid.
The simple bucket that Martin has works sort of, but no where near as well as a real cyclone. Better than nothing and cheap. As these vacs are not cheap and neither are the bags, I figure a real cyclone is worth it. The Fein has a HEPA filter on it's output. Looks as clean as the day it was new.

BTW, I was looking at some OBJECTIVE vac testing, Fein, Festool etc. The Makita at about half the price came in right there.

Martin, Powertec. I'll remember that. Hey, you made a few subs I see. :) I am a recovering speaker builder. ( entire lab for sale)

Oh, for the extension hose I use on my small tools, I use a bit of sump pump discharge hose. White plastic stuff from Home Despot. Cheap, and it works as with an ROS, velocity is not an issue. It is light enough to not be in the way. I use my big Clear View for the stationary tools as a couple boards through the jointer would fill the vac.

Attachments

• 20221210_085618.jpg
    20221210_085618.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Nice setup, Martin! What connector did you use at the Fein end of the hose with what appears to be a 90 degree elbow plugged in?
Wayne, the Dustopper comes with the hose and two 90° elbows. They fit the Fein, well, fine.
1670810851382.png

As you can see in my photo above, the hose just fits from the Dustopper to the intake on my Fein Turbo I. To prevent the DE from collapsing the bucket, I tried to just put one bucket inside another, but it made it too high. I just cut the bottom and ribs off the inner bucket and taped it inside the one I attached to the DE with my little plywood adapter. I've had no issues with the bucket collapsing since.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a Rigid vac instead of a Fein and have a different cart configuration after building the shop vac version. I put the vacuum on the bottom and the cyclone above it with the connections made by 2 inch PVC. The Rigid vac has a 15 amp motor but only a 2 or 3 gallon dust capacity. That is plenty with the DD putting almost everything into the bucket below it. The key advantage of the vertical configuration is floor space. I also put an after market auto on switch so the vac starts when the tool starts. The after market switch allow me to use my track saw which pulls 12A. Most auto on vacs will not work with heavy draw tools. I also use the quasi HEPA filter from Rigid. Noisy but cheap and effective is how I would describe my setup.

cfield60

jeff
User
Yup. Pretty short bucket so it fits under the outfeed and I did have to reinforce the bucket lid.
The simple bucket that Martin has works sort of, but no where near as well as a real cyclone. Better than nothing and cheap. As these vacs are not cheap and neither are the bags, I figure a real cyclone is worth it. The Fein has a HEPA filter on it's output. Looks as clean as the day it was new.

BTW, I was looking at some OBJECTIVE vac testing, Fein, Festool etc. The Makita at about half the price came in right there.

Martin, Powertec. I'll remember that. Hey, you made a few subs I see. :) I am a recovering speaker builder. ( entire lab for sale)

Oh, for the extension hose I use on my small tools, I use a bit of sump pump discharge hose. White plastic stuff from Home Despot. Cheap, and it works as with an ROS, velocity is not an issue. It is light enough to not be in the way. I use my big Clear View for the stationary tools as a couple boards through the jointer would fill the vac.
Hey Scott, can you offer some advice for replacing the grill cloth on my JBL 4311's? I have the correct cloth but am not sure which glue I should use to attach it to the wooden frames. Thanks.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Hey Scott, can you offer some advice for replacing the grill cloth on my JBL 4311's? I have the correct cloth but am not sure which glue I should use to attach it to the wooden frames. Thanks.
Wow! That's a throw back but - welcomed. I hsad a pair in college and although I I spent more in subsequent quests for better sound I'm not sure I ever achieved that. If you listened to the audio magazines there's probably an acoustical difference to the glues!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS