Father son scroll bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I started a thread a few days back about the basket/bowls that Cathy Skipper brought to the picnic. One of my boys was really taken with the idea of making one.

Like this:

ryanbowl.jpg

It turns out he was really just interested in doing this:

ryanbowl1.jpg

(that's Ailene's Clear Gel Craft Glue. with all those points of contact, it should be adequate)

Leaving me to do this:

ryanbowl2.jpg

(please don't throw me into that briar patch :rolf: )

Yeah, there's a couple of more in the queue; I have a few kids. :)

Special thanks to Cathy and others for info and to Matt (Splint Eastwood) for resaw and surfacing help. :icon_thum

It's walnut and as yet unfinished. My guess is he will want to shellac it.

CarvedTones

Andy
That's TERRIFIC!!!!! :icon_thum What are the dimensions?

6.5" diameter, 8 rings + bottom. This one is a little over 3". I had some stock that was a little over 3/4" and not quite flat that Matt and I (mostly Matt) resawed and ran through the planer until the surfaces were even. This board is about 3/8".

This is a "Weekend Woodcrafts" plan. I don't have the magazine anymore, just saved the plans (they insert folded up large sheets).

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
There is nothing more special than a father, son project. I love every minute my son and I spend on a project together. Great bowl by the way!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful bowl and since it is a Father and Son project it is a "perfect bowl".

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks for the kind comments, all. There are a couple of things I learned about cutting these. I used a larger blade (#5) and hole than is really necessary mostly because I had an impatient coworker and I didn't want him to lose interest. But a #5 will cut the pattern just fine, so I might stick with it and do smaller connecting holes next time. I used a reverse skip blade and the surface looks polished. I did make sure to leave any traces of the holes on the outside of rings so they can easily be cleaned up with a little radial bristle disc on the Dremel after assembly. The pattern specifies some exact marks to line up, but he just went free form and that works fine. Like a lot of scroll stuff, it looks best if you don't correct minor mistakes (and don't make any major ones :) ). if you are off line adjust back toward it gently, don't make jagged turns to get back on it. Most important thing is that you make it to the line on the outside curves and inside corners so that the rings overlap when twisted slightly. Oh yeah and don't cut through or break any rings...

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Great looking bowl there and making it together makes it special.Congrats on a successful job.
Tony

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Andy,

I had no clue, what, or how you were going to use resurfaced Walnut for. Now very clear.

Great pics and great project result!

Thanks for sharing and the shout out.

Soon we will see shots of son scrolling as well. We all started out "gluing" at some time in our lives. (for me, it was to fix things I broke:gar-La;). A natural progression to making, Im sure!

Matt

CarvedTones

Andy
He has done some carving and small spindle turning. He is not sure he is ready for the scroll saw. It has the odd distinction of being one of the safest yet scariest tools in the shop. Safe because you are unlikely to get injured at all and highly unlikely to get injured more than very slightly (little nick or a poke from a broken blade). Scary because if you are leaned over it and up close when a blade breaks it sounds like you just stuck your head under a running lawn mower and the instincts that kick in are the life-in-danger ones. Just for a brief second and just for the first few dozen blades, but it still intimidates beginners.

I can drop you a piece with the pattern on it if you want to try one. We cut more than he and his siblings will use.

cskipper

Cathy
Here is a website that has software to design patterns for baskets/bowls. The tutorials walk you through it and then you can design to your heart's content.

http://scrollmania.com/

This is where I made most of my patterns (which I have saved). I have a fair amount of difficulty understanding the math, but give me enough time and I can create a pattern I like.

CarvedTones

Andy
Great link! I really like the bowl in this article. I have a couple of cherry offcuts that have "sapwood runout" that would look really good using that pattern.

I would really like to figure out how to do some asymmetric ones that morph. Probably would require more than one source board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS