Farmhouse table cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
My mother would like for me to build a farmhouse tabletop that will rest on top of the current table in her dining room. I am not great with coming up with my own plans. I can modify existing plans ok, but whenever I use a design from my head, it it never comes out as planned. Does any one have a link to a similar project that I can use as a guide? My Google-Fu is coming up short. Thanks.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My mother would like for me to build a farmhouse tabletop that will rest on top of the current table in her dining room.

We're both lost on exactly what is the idea here.

1. A few pics of the current table (top and underneath framing, etc) will help as a starting point for discussion. What are the dimensions (l x w x h)?

2. Do you plan to remove the existing top and build the farmhouse top around the existing aprons and legs?

3. Does your mother have any back-of-the-envelope sketches/ideas of what she's envisioning for the project? What kind of wood species?

4. Why not just scrap the current table and start from the bottom up so that the new table doesn't look like its been pieced together?

Food for thought.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/diy-farm-table-projects/#.VSPtWCi-o20

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
I do not have any pics at the moment. The idea is to keep her current table and make an overlay that sits on top of the current table top to achieve the look of a farmhouse table. I guess her idea is that it would be easier to create a tabletop versus an entire table. I swear I have seen the technique somewhere online, but I can't seem to find anything.

My thoughts are to build a simple farmhouse top with aprons that are snug to her current top.

EDIT: I am going through the links you provided and I think the http://eastcoastcreativeblog.com/2011/07/farmhouse-table-remix-tutorial.html method is pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS