Fantastic Workshop with Greg Paolini

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I couldn't wait until tomorrow when I can upload my pix...to prove that it did happen!!!

This was the best two days I've enjoyed in a long time. Many, many thanks to Rick Dinardo who generously hosted this event at his The Woodworking Source Store/Mill/Warehouse in Mooresville.

Bill (Bwat) Jerry (JCraig) Mike (Mike Smith) and I represented NCWW'rs. We are happy to have met some great folks that we have invited to join our woodworking family and look forward to seeing them again here.

Greg is no less than awesome! He is a fine teacher/Instructor and I believe it's safe to say we all left empowered with a good start building cabinet doors, carcasses and effectively sharpening planes and such.

If you get an opportunity to attend any session with Greg you will understand my enthusiasm!

Thanks again Rick and Greg!

Barbara

bwat

New User
Bill
Let me add my sincere thanks to all as well. Thanks to Rick for organizing the event and continually providing an outstanding resource for area woodworkers! Hope we can do this again in the future.

Thanks to Greg for the insightful classes. His thorough and respectful approach made everyone feel comfortable and I agree that all should have left his class with added knowledge. Please keep us posted on your book release dates.

And it is always good to see fellow NCWWs face-to-face! Again, thanks to all involved, I had a blast!:icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Sounds like an informative class and a good time! Hope I can attend one in the future. Thanks to Rick for hosting!! :wsmile:

b4man

New User
Barbara
For some reason I thought I had a group shot on my camera but the most important one to me:gar-Bi is here! Rick does have group shots so we'll have to wait for him to post.

DSC00112.JPG

View image in gallery

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Thanks so much for the kind words - You're all too generous!

I had a great time, and it was so great to meet so many new people, and put some faces to the names I see and converse with so frequently here.

Like a few of you mentioned, Rick and The Woodworking Source deserve so much thanks and credit for putting an event like this togeather - It really demonstrates a commitment to the woodworking community he serves - Thanks Rick!

I really want to thank everyone who helped out too! I look forward to seeing you all again!

Best,
Gregory

Bryan S

Bryan
Was not able to attend, but thanks Greg for giving of your time, knowlege and experience. This work thing has a way of getting in the way of a lot of fun.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Thanks again Greg! And yes, you need a new shop apron.:icon_thum

Greg,
Thanks for all in knowledge you imparted this past weekend at the workshop. And... I think the apron just needs a little sewing up. :wsmile:

terry1166

New User
Terry
Don't forget me! Although a newer member (1 year), I'm proud to be an NC Woodworker too! I was there for the Sunday session and even though I've built some cabinetry in the past, I learned the best way to organize a cabinetry project, the fastest way to size and breakdown sheet goods for the project, what's required to build cabinetry to existing standards, how to best allow for and install framed panels on the exposed cabinet ends and a lot more. Greg was more than willing to take the time to answer everyone's questions. I also want to thank Rick for his time and effort to arrange the classes and Greg for his expert advice. I wish I would've been free to attend the sessions on Saturday. Hope to see more of instructional classes such as these.

Terry

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
For all that attended and have photos, there is now a gallery called Workshops at the Woodworking Source to upload your photos to.

thesource

New User
Rick
What a great weekend!
An awful lot of work goes into an event like this, and it really was worth it.
Everyone seemed to have a great time, and as Barbara said, left with a lot of confidence, knowledge and increased level of woodworking skills.
Greg and the attendees sharpened a plane iron to 16000 grit, and he pushed the plane with one hand and got a full width Poplar shaving that you could read through!
I offered an extremely figured piece of Tiger Maple for that same demonstration, and although it took two hands, he got a beautiful shaving that you could read through. Maybe 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch thick.
Then I challenged him to plane a ridiculously figured piece of Quartersawn Sycamore.
Anybody that has ever worked with QS Sycamore knows the challenges of getting a smooth finish on it.
Greg planed a rough piece to an absolutely glass smooth finish with that plane.
Amazing how sharp, sharp can be!
Most of the skills taught last weekend were participated in by most of the students.
Barbara did it all.
In addition to the North Carolina Woodworker members Barbara mentioned, Terry, Robb, and Dane are members too.
Thanks to all of the attendees, and to Gregory Paolini.
He's a really good guy and a fantastic teacher.

Here's a link to the gallery with some pictures from last weekend.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2072

decibel

New User
Patrick
Since I missed this my question is when is the next one :) Any chance we'll start seeing these on a regular basis?

thesource

New User
Rick
Patrick,
This one went so well, that we're going to try to have one every 6-8 weeks.

You and all the other members could help by suggesting skills that you're having trouble with or new woodworking skills you'd like to learn.

This would help us get a plan together for workshops that help the most people.

We hope to see you next time.

Rick

bwat

New User
Bill
Great pics Greg! Both you AND the camera were in focus. I'm no longer allowed to take pics with others' cameras.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
My still pictures didn't turn out too great, but a short video I took turned out fine. Here's one frame that shows part of the Saturday afternoon door class.:icon_thum
WoodSourceClass1.jpg

Also, I think this illustrates why Gregory's apron looks the way it looks. -- Clean glue squeeze out with scale, wipe glue on apron, repeat.
WoodClassGlue.jpg

Greg

bwat

New User
Bill
Mike Smith took some great pics at the Sunday class with Greg Paolini at The Woodworking Source but was having difficulty getting his computer to post them. He emailed them to me and I posted about 20 pics on his behalf. Thanks Mike.

(In the photo galleries under workshops at The Woodworking Source)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS