Family Room Remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Hi everyone, I finally finished the family room remodel. The carpet went down 2 weeks before Christmas. The wife was happy to get the tree up.

The most challenging part was building the folding shutters. Its a fairly large, 5 section bow window. I racked my brain for a while trying to come up with a solution for the window. I did not want curtains anymore and the price of custom blinds were way to much.

The shutters were built from 6/4" Poplar, and I sprayed them with white lacquer.

The entertainment center and mantel were built from Alder scraps left over from previous jobs. Behind the TV is a fan and thermostat for cooling. The TV is also on an Omni Mount that can pull out, swing side to side and tilt down.

Thanks for looking.

Future Woodworker

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Hopefully these picture will work better this time!

DSC01557_600_x_450_.jpg

View image in gallery

DSC01574_450_x_600_.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Spectacular work there, Jay!!!!!:wsmile:

That entertainment center setup, "I would give an eye tooth for".:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

The center and that mantle I am sure will conversation pieces for anyone who has the opportunity to visit!

Very, very nice work.

Wayne

magellan44

New User
magellan44
Hi Jay,

Looks great, I'm trying to remember what your family room looked like the last time I visited in June. I can't remember the ceiling being cathedral. Wow, I need to pay more attention, I guess I was too overwhelmed by all the other work you were showing me in the other parts of the house. Not only are you good you're fast.

Take care buddy, maybe I'll see you in a few weeks. At least I hope so this cold is getting to me, as soon as it starts getting nice down your way I'm coming down to Myrtle for some golf. It looks cold and snowy from what I'm seeing on TV.

Ben

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Nice work Jay...I do have a ??? WHAT IS WHITE LAQUER? where can I get some info on this:eusa_thin

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Love the entertainment center Jay. When you get a chance how about posting some more pics of your other projects or your shop. :icon_thum

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think "spectacular" is the right word here. Both the entertainment center and mantle have a bold and substantial feel them, nicely balanced against all that stone. Built from scraps, you said?

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Hi Jay,

Looks great, I'm trying to remember what your family room looked like the last time I visited in June. I can't remember the ceiling being cathedral. Wow, I need to pay more attention, I guess I was too overwhelmed by all the other work you were showing me in the other parts of the house. Not only are you good you're fast.

Take care buddy, maybe I'll see you in a few weeks. At least I hope so this cold is getting to me, as soon as it starts getting nice down your way I'm coming down to Myrtle for some golf. It looks cold and snowy from what I'm seeing on TV.

Ben

Hi Ben, hope you will have time to stop by, bring some warm weather with you please!

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Nice work, Jay! Did you make the split columns for the entertainment center?

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Chris, I buy almost all of the columns and legs from Osborne Wood Products. The bottom is one 5" square leg, I split down the middle to make 2 legs

Chris

Nice work Jay...I do have a ??? WHAT IS WHITE LAQUER? where can I get some info on this:eusa_thin

Its just a spray lacquer that has been tinted White. I use ML Campbell for all the tinted stuff. They can match any paint color out there. I use it because it is more durable than paint, easier to spray, and can be clearcoated for added protection.

I think "spectacular" is the right word here. Both the entertainment center and mantle have a bold and substantial feel them, nicely balanced against all that stone. Built from scraps, you said?

Well, scraps might be a small stretch.:wsmile: I always have left over material when I finish up a kitchen. Some of it has knots that most customers dont want, so I save it for myself.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS