Falling a Walnut Tree

BobJr

New User
Bob
You should definitely purchase this book: https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Woodworking-Wood-How-Dry/dp/091880454X

It is a wealth of information, especially on drying and setting up your stack. When you air dry, you need a strong base to place your stack on and you definitely need stickers between every layer. Air movement is a must, so I prefer air drying outdoors. I will then bring wood as I need it into my conditioned shop for several weeks to allow it to acclimate before using.
Purchased. Thank you

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Some additional information I discovered about 1995 when I was trying to get some black walnut sawed. A neighbor in southern Wake County ran a saw mill. When I called him about sawing the b. walnut trees I had, he replied, very tersely, "Do not bring those trees to my lot. I make most of my profit from selling pine sawdust to people for use in their horse stables. If they find out that I had black walnut trees on my property they may stop buying sawdust from me and I will lose my business." I asked "Why?" "Because a handful of black walnut sawdust can, and probably will, kill almost any horse. Even if it is mixed in with a truck load of pine saw dust." Therefore, I suggest you be cautious in picking your sawyer. Sawyers who are new to the business may not be aware of this issue.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Some additional information I discovered about 1995 when I was trying to get some black walnut sawed. A neighbor in southern Wake County ran a saw mill. When I called him about sawing the b. walnut trees I had, he replied, very tersely, "Do not bring those trees to my lot. I make most of my profit from selling pine sawdust to people for use in their horse stables. If they find out that I had black walnut trees on my property they may stop buying sawdust from me and I will lose my business." I asked "Why?" "Because a handful of black walnut sawdust can, and probably will, kill almost any horse. Even if it is mixed in with a truck load of pine saw dust." Therefore, I suggest you be cautious in picking your sawyer. Sawyers who are new to the business may not be aware of this issue.

I believe this to be true. I sawed so much black walnut on my sawmill when I lived in NC, that I developed an allergy to it. I'm fine wood working with black walnut after it's dry. But the dust from the bark when it's green and wet, makes me break out in itchy hives.

Last time I sawed walnut on my sawmill in NC, I had to strip down to my birthday suit and high tail it, for the tar river. Jim and his wife both witnessed me streaking across their back yard and jumping into the river, They even brought me a towel to the bank. Which I wrapped around my waist and drive home and headed for the shower. I left my clothes where the fell and bagged them up and threw them away when I returned after a few days later.

I haven't sawed a black walnut log since then and probably never will again.

Maybe it's the bark or the thin yellow whatever it called in-between the bark and the white sapwood I'm allergic to, whatever it is... I banned Walnut from my species of timber I will mill. Walnut and anything creosote soaked, I will not mill. I won't even cut it with a chainsaw either.

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I believe this to be true. I sawed so much black walnut on my sawmill when I lived in NC, that I developed an allergy to it. I'm fine wood working with black walnut after it's dry. But the dust from the bark when it's green and wet, makes me break out in itchy hives.

Last time I sawed walnut on my sawmill in NC, I had to strip down to my birthday suit and high tail it, for the tar river. Jim and his wife both witnessed me streaking across their back yard and jumping into the river, They even brought me a towel to the bank. Which I wrapped around my waist and drive home and headed for the shower. I left my clothes where the fell and bagged them up and threw them away when I returned after a few days later.

Maybe it's the bark or the thin yellow whatever it called in-between the bark and the white sapwood I'm allergic to, whatever it is... I banned Walnut from my species of timber I will mill. Walnut and anything creosote soaked, I will not mill. I won't even cut it with a chainsaw either.

now why'd ya hafta bring that up? I'm scarred for life now. I may never get that image outta my haid! TMI Jeff, TMI. :eek:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member

Jeff,

I still have some of that Walnut that I bought from you in the Seagrove parking lot at one of the NCWW Picnics at Jordan Lake eons ago!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

I still have some of that Walnut that I bought from you in the Seagrove parking lot at one of the NCWW Picnics at Jordan Lake eons ago!

Wow really? That was a long time ago. I'm sure that wasn't the time I developed an allergic reaction.

I just think I cut so much of it that it was my body telling my mind, enough is enough. That and the black snot - yuck!!!

A friend with a sawmill and I with mine, cut a tractor trailer load - just a little north of 7500 BF in in 4/4 boards in a weekend.
Both evenings when we were done, we both looked like coal miners :rolleyes:

During the move here to the farm, I told my son please take all the walnut and he did. Every last stick of it. I move here and what does the neighbor ask for? but a walnut countertop ofcourse. He supplied the wood and he said to keep these two boards. Every time my son comes over I try and give him these two boards but they won't fit in the minivan. I'll get him when he brings his truck ;) I just can't seem to get away from walnut, it follows me where ever I go.
IMG_20201204_222249796.jpg

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can use a couple fans that will assist in air drying and it works well as low tech method.

Great advice, thank you. I have plenty of space in the back to air dry if I can do it outside (obviously slower). I’ve also got a 16 ft shed and an extra dehumidifier I wonder if that would be a better option

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Wow really? That was a long time ago. I'm sure that wasn't the time I developed an allergic reaction.

I just think I cut so much of it that it was my body telling my mind, enough is enough. That and the black snot - yuck!!!

A friend with a sawmill and I with mine, cut a tractor trailer load - just a little north of 7500 BF in in 4/4 boards in a weekend.

During the move here to the farm, I told my son please take all the walnut and he did. Every last stick of it. I move here and what does the neighbor ask for? but a walnut countertop ofcourse. He supplied the wood and he said to keep these two boards. Every time my son comes over I try and give him these two boards but they won't fit in the minivan. I'll get him when he brings his truck ;) I just can't seem to get away from walnut, it follows me where ever I go.
View attachment 198224
If you're headed this way anytime soon I'll take those off your hands.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

View attachment 198224
I am so sorry to hear about your serious health problem with walnut, For your benefit I will take it off your hands for health and safety reasons for you and your family. It is the least I can do for a fellow wood worker having health issues

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Bob, give Percy Flowers a call; sawyer east of Carthage. He is a mature guy with lots of info. 910-947-2642. He may have a tree service recommendation.
If not give Caleb a call at Dave’s Trees. 910-603-7177

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff,

so is that called Buck-nakid-Jeff Walnut?! :p :cool: :p

BobJr

New User
Bob
Update: turns out this is a hickory tree! Tree guy got a good chuckle out of it. I never considered hickory but after doing some research makes a lot of sense why the leaves never quite matched the tree identification pictures. Will still make for good furniture building

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors