Falling a Walnut Tree

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You seem to know this and it is implied by other posts but to be clear, the limbs are not suitable for lumber, they will warp because the stresses were unequal while it was growing. The limbs will make good firewood. The straight sections of trunk will make the most stable but not terribly interesting lumber. Crotches will give you highly figured material that will not be very stable. The butt including what is a little below ground is highly valued gunstock material. The part at ground level or a little below is figured but not very stable. It goes into the butt stock. The material a bit above that is where the action of the rifle goes since it is straight and more stable. Getting the butt out of the ground will not be easy, however, and it wouldn't be surprising to hit rocks trying to cut it up. So it is often not used. If it was me, I would want it cut down with at least 18 inches sticking up. I would then dig out the big roots and cut them off with a chain saw to free the butt. It would be a lot of work but I think the material would be worth it. If you clean things up with the chainsaw, there would be less risk of damaging a bandsaw mills blade.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Bob, forget what I said about the butt. Walnut butt would be valuable. Hickory is too heavy for rifle stocks. I'm also not sure the crotches will be as interesting but they should still have interesting grain. Straight portion of trunk still good.

BobJr

New User
Bob
Thanks Jim, yes I thought this was a walnut based on the nuts I cracked open that fell off but should have dug a little deeper into identification. Still considering milling the straight pieces at a minimum for a nice heavy workbench or a dining room table, or both. What doesn’t get milled will make for good bbq smoking material. The rifle stock would’ve been a great idea, would love to make an heirloom from the tree. Anybody have any other ideas or hickory projects they’ve done? I know it can be tough to turn but was thinking about sharpening my chisels and putting a handle on a tool or something for my father and my boy.
For stump removal my fathers an excavator operator, we will be digging it up and taking it out if that may be of any use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS