Face Shield recommendation? Any to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Looking for feedback/recommendations for a face shield for turning.

Just the regular ol' shield is fine for me....
Example: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080838/29193/Adjustable-Face-Shield.aspx

I'm definitely not interested in air shields. I'd like to keep it under $25ish... Looking for suggestions from others who've already researched this to death and particularly interested in recommendations on any to avoid (including reasons).

I prefer one with an adjustable plastic band (turn knob or other is fine), rather than anything with elastic (i.e., not this one-- http://www.harborfreight.com/face-shield-with-flip-up-visor-96542.html).

Does anyone have feelings re: the "bionic" style?--
http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Protection-S8500-Bionic-Shield/dp/B001VXXUWK
http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Bionic-Faceshield-Anti-fog-Hardcoat/dp/B0013G86FG

Some have a single, horizontal band.... others add a strap over the crown/top. Any comments on that?

Also, for the "normal style" shields (not the bionic/anti-fog), how frequently do you have problems with yours fogging up? I used to use these in my past life in the laboratory and seem to recall being annoyed by fogging.

EDIT: I just read a review on Amazon, where the person noted a particular one made it hard to use ear-muff/headphone-style hearing protection (which I use). If you happen to have an opinion on that, it would be useful. (and thanks for all the comments so far).

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the basic Woodcraft one and it works just fine. I wear eye glasses as well.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
check craigslist. i got one for like $ 10 there. it's a lot nicer than the $ 20 one a woodcraft or harbor freight.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I use the Uvex Bionic and like it very much. It has the clearest shield of any I've ever used and I've used several models over 25yrs of working in and around chemicals and labs. The main thing is to use one, anyone is better than no one.

Rob

New User
Rob
I use the Uvex Bionic and love it over your first one, first it's very clear, second, IMO it offers better protection, the plastic frame goes all around the face shield and comes down lower. Third, it's more comfortable. I've used the cheapy's for years grinding, and turning, and love the bionic much better.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I use the Uvex Bionic and love it over your first one, first it's very clear, second, IMO it offers better protection, the plastic frame goes all around the face shield and comes down lower. Third, it's more comfortable. I've used the cheapy's for years grinding, and turning, and love the bionic much better.
Rob-- that one I used at your place wasn't the Uvex, was it??? I thought it was a regular shield.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User

+++++++++++++1 on the Bionic

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I use theface shield ($22) available from Woodcraft. I wear glasses (prescription safety glasses while in my shop) and have not had any issues whatsoever with this shield. Nor has fogging been an issue with this shield, though I'm sure that varies a bit depending on how close to the face you choose to position it (I also work in a heated/air conditioned space with low humidity, which also helps).

With the ratcheting adjustment knob, it is easy to adjust the fit, a feature I've come to like. I can't comment with regard to ear muff use, however, since I only use disposable in-ear foam plugs when necessary. Much of my shop equipment isn't loud enough (e.g. induction motors) to require hearing protection so the disposable foam ear plugs have worked fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS