Face frame beading advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I would like to add a bead to the inside edges of my cabinet face frames. I plan to use pocket screws for assembly. These will be cherry cabinets with a clear finish.
I have read several articles about how to do it. They all look pretty time consuming. So far it looks like I might as well just apply the bead as a molding. Is there a better way?

Last edited by a moderator:

TBradley190

New User
Tim
Face frame beads are time consuming, but are worth it if that's the look you want for that piece. Gluing on the molding afterwards will work if the cabinet openings will not be used alot, but I would think that they could run the risk of getting knocked off. If you profile the beads on first then miter all your intersections, I don't think you would have much more time in it than using the molding method. JMO I use a Incra miter gauge on the TS with the blade tilted to 45, but I'm sure their are other ways too! Good luck with it!

Tim

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Here's another one to look at. Sorry, I haven't tried it myself, but everything that I've bought from them has been top notch. You make the beaded stock with a beading bit and a router and then use the big wheel shaped bit on your cabinet saw like you would a dado blade, to form the notch in the bead with the 45 deg cut to allow joining another beaded piece to it.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Beaded-Face-Frame-System/products/551/

Charley

I bought the wood-line set but if you use the wood-line directions you could use the kreg bits... kreg has more options one the size of bead.. I have not used the set yet other to make a test run with the beading bit and it looked bigger then I wanted and that's when I re looked at the kreg and saw the different radius of the beads offered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS