Exterior Paint Q for our collective mind.

Oil or Latex

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'll be starting some exterior frame & panel shutters in cypress soon. I haven't kept up with the paint industry, so I'm asking: Oil or Water?

I built them from SYP 15 years ago and painted them with Rustoleum enamel.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My vote goes for latex, semi gloss to be exact. I'm neutral between Varathane, or Behr. (I've used both recently.) But I wouldn't kick a wild bear in the backside for Behr interior paints. They don't have enough solids in them to cover in less than three coats. My job site painter charges extra when customer requests that he use Behr interior paint. He has to figure an extra coat. Ace Royal always receives high marks, but cost a little more than the borgs brands. Duron, Pittsburg, Sherwin Williams all made good paint, but unless you have an account with them, they will burn you a new one! From a consumer stand point, they think more of their paint than I do.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We painted the house two years ago with Sherwin-Williams best latex. I can't remember the name but it has a thirty year warranty. They had a 20% off sale so it cost about the same as the lower quality regular price.

If you want something that will really last and price is second consideration then go to an auto body paint store and get Acrylic Enamel. Any of the major brands will last 30-40 years outside if you prime it right and apply two good coats. I painted signs with the stuff in late 1970s to early 1980s and many of them are still there and still look good.

The automotive paint will cost nearly $100 a gallon with the needed thinner and additives, but it will be the last time you paint those shutters.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I used California Fresh Coat Exterior Latex on my shed. Expensive, but I won't have to paint again for a long time.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Joe

I used Sherwin Williams ProClassic oil based paint on a set of Adirondack chairs for my oldest daughter (over SYP) about four years ago and the finish has held up well. I also primed with a good quality Sherwin Williams primer that they sold me.

What I really liked was the way it leveled when I applied with a 2" brush.

Wayne

DWSmith

New User
David
Depends on what the original coating was. Latex doesn't adhere well to oil based but will adhere to oil based primers.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My house painters repainted with exterior latex primer after prepping the trim and siding. Don't know if it was 1 or 2 coats of primer. That was followed by 2 coats of oil-based exterior. I don't remember if it was gloss or satin. It's held up really well for the last 5-6 years.

LandonM

New User
Landon
I recently painted a house with cedar siding. We used Behr's latex primer and paint in one. I think it's called Behr Ultra Premium or something like that. It worked really well and went on well with one or two coats. We used a lighter color for the trim and garage doors and it took a little more to cover up the faded red paint that was on the house. We got ours from Home Depot and got a contractor discount for ordering so much paint (I believe it was a case). Where ever you get your paint, you may want to ask if there is a contractor discount or volume discount. Many times they'll give you some discount for buying so much paint.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For ease of maintenance in the future, I would recommend semi-gloss or gloss exterior latex. I have had very good luck with 2 coats of Varathane Severe Weather over a good coat of exterior latex primer (Kilz II or the varathane are both good. Go with the better price). Main purpose of the primer is to seal the wood and cut costs for the more expensive exterior paint.

I recommend latex over oil based for one reason. Sooner or later oil base is going to peel when moisture gets under it, and is a royal pain to scrape/sand/recoat. Latex paint will let the moisture breath though it without peeling, while protecting the wood from UV deterioration.

I owned a wood-sided house in Florida from 1983 to 2005. It was originally stained. That lasted 2 years. Subsequent "professional" paint jobs using "20 year" oil based lasted at the most 3 years before beginning to peel. After 15 years, (4 repaint jobs), I sanded all the oil base off (took me 9 months while working a full time/overtime real job to complete it). I primed with varathane latex primer and coated with 2 coats of the Severe weather. When I sold the house 7 years later, all I had to do is pressure wash it and apply one coat to the sides where I used flat paint, and did not have to do anything but pressure clean all the semi-gloss trim, fascia, etc.

The gloss will last a bit longer than the semi-gloss, but is more difficult to get a good looking coating unless you are spraying it, especially in warm weather when it tacks fast. I sprayed the sides of the house with an airless and back-rolled with a wool roller. I used a brush and roller for the trim and fascia.

Go

PS: the above recommendation is for wood. For metal, PVC, or fiberglass, I would go with the acrylic enamel

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Quite a test for paint; Florida!
My Dad retired there from the Navy and he always said that the only houses that last longer than the mortgage were cinder block :wwink:

Glennbear

Glenn
Since I have never painted cypress I cannot offer any personal experience however I have found that exterior finishes seem to last longer when I use an eggshell rather than flat paint. If you are using gloss or semi-gloss disregard the previous advice. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS