Extending Natural Gas Into the Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I want a gas range and have a 3/4" line going to my gas logs about 20 ft away from where the stove is located. I'm on a crawlspace. Is this something a Plumber has to do or can a regular builder/contractor do it?
Thanks!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
One type of plumber that often gets overlooked is the natural gas line plumber, who installs gas lines for a variety of home projects. Usually a natural gas plumber will have a license that states he or she is licensed to work on and install natural gas lines.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to do the same thing for a gas grill and a generator. The gas company gave us a quote, which was insane. Our plumber said he could do it, but he didn't act like he knows that much about it.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
When we lived in Huntersville we had North Meck Plumbing do some work on our gas water heater. They're professional and reasonably priced.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks guys!
I have a neighbor who is an HVAC tech who might be able to help. If not PSNC can do it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Natural gas lines only carry 2psi typically, but if it leaks and you have a problem, your insurance company will bail if it's not inspected. Best to get a licensed professional. Most people 'over test' gas lines by pumping them to 50-80psi. Inspectors need only ~15psi test using a low pressure gauge.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks guys!
I have a neighbor who is an HVAC tech who might be able to help. If not PSNC can do it.

I'd feel safer having the PSNC folks do it and I don't know if an inspection is required but it's probably desirable to have it documented for peace of mind. Gas line installation and testing shouldn't be taken lightly......."Oh, yeah it's just another piece of pipe with a valve and a few joints....!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks again guys! PSNC wants ~$700 to run 30ft of 1/2" copper line (we have a high pressure meter and all pipe will be in the crawlspace so no need for 3/4" or black iron pipe) terminating to a steel stub w/flex hose behind the stove. That seems excessive to me and could be done in a morning by one guy including a honeybun break at 10!:wsmile: Point taken about getting a pro and had no intention of getting "Bubba" down the street to do it. I'm not sure that an HVAC tech running gas lines under my house to my gas heating system is all that different from doing essentially the same job to a kitchen stove.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The irony of all this is the Big Box stores aid and abet the average homeowner into trying to do this type of thing themselves by allowing anyone to walk in off the streets and buy everything needed to do it right, except for the skill. I see their philosophy, "You're an adult and you should know what you're doing." But too often someone attempts projects like this beyond their skill level to catastrophic results.....
Oh, well. Guess I'll go do the brakes on my truck..... :eek:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Having had a P-1 Plumbing license in a previous lifetime, I can tell you that all licensed plumbers are supposedly able to run your gas line. Same goes for licensed HVAC people. I'm an iron pipe guy myself. Do Not use teflon tape on any connections. If can shred off and foul up a gas valve, PREVENTING IT FROM COMPLETELY CLOSING. (Can you say BOOM really LOUD?) I like Rector Seal #5 for the sealant.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've done most of the work on all the vehicles I've owned for the past 50 years, including brake jobs. A few months ago I took my pickup to a nationwide shop for the first brake job ever I didn't do myself. Getting too old and losing interest I guess. I had to take it back twice before they got it right. Now I'm not suggesting everyone should do their own brake jobs, but I certainly am suggesting that taking it to a shop is no guarantee that it will be done correctly.

Then again, I'm from the days when you learned how to maintain cars and such because we couldn't afford not to.

OTOH, a man has got to know his limitations and I wouldn't touch a natural gas line installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS