Experiement with turning and black smithing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Just wanted to try to make something different. Wood is Norfolk Island Pine. Sorry the picture is sideways. It did that on the upload somehow.

experiment.JPG

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Awesome job Rob! I always like it when people combine mediums it makes great art! I bought wrought iron hand forged hinges for my hutch base and love them, the maker said cover them with shellac to seal them, I did and it adds a great patina to them. You may want o experiment with that too. I like the look , plus it protects the steel. Just my $.02. Again, great work!

Rob

New User
Rob
I used old motor oil and heat, baked the oil into the steel. I have some other ideas for finishing the steel I want to try. Trying to come up with a way to do it outside a forge as I'm planning on making a TV stand using steel tube and wood, and it will be too large for the forge.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
:icon_thum:icon_thum. Great work on both the vase and iron. Like the form of both. Looking forward to seeing more!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice job, Rob. I like the craftsmanship and combination of wood and metal. How will it be used in the home?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Very nice! I appreciate the mixed mediums. My attempts at metalwork have been well, lacking at best...
I've seen some awesome work in NIP but have yet to come across any. What were your experiences with it?

Rob

New User
Rob
Very nice! I appreciate the mixed mediums. My attempts at metalwork have been well, lacking at best...
I've seen some awesome work in NIP but have yet to come across any. What were your experiences with it?

To me it's hard to work with, I've only done a lidded box and this with it. The wood is very soft so requires very sharp tools, but it's pretty easy to sand.

I won a log at an turning symposium auction a couple years ago. Still have two bowl blanks from it to turn, but haven't got to them yet.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Rob, very nice work. Did you have to heat the metal to bend it? And did you make a form to bend it around? Any pictures of the process?

Roy G

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice work - enjoyed chatting with you Sunday Morning on the chat, even if only briefly.

Saw that then and was impressed.

Rob

New User
Rob
Rob, very nice work. Did you have to heat the metal to bend it? And did you make a form to bend it around? Any pictures of the process?

Roy G

Yes, heated it in my gas forge and used a hammer and anvil. No pictures of the process, hard to take pictures and hammer on the anvil. :gar-Bi

I took a black smithing class a couple years back and am finally putting it to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS