Excellent blade cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Been cleaning blades the last couple of days. Started with WD-40 & PB Blaster which worked if I scrubbed with a brass brush. Then I tried Home Depot's Citrus Degreaser and that stuff is incredible. After a 1 or 2 minute soak the pitch and build up just wiped off leaving shiny carbide. I was a little worried about the teflon coating but this didn't seem to affect it. Rinsed with water.

7b0df815-b932-4c40-89c9-60512dd5a54a_400.jpg

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have been using TREND blade cleaner. It works pretty well. But I swear it smells just like 409 household cleaner. So I had to try it. It cleaned well , but left small black spots all over the blade. I'll have to try this citrus stuff next.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
I will have to give the citrus cleaner a try. The thought had crossed my mind to run a search on blade cleaners / post a question about what everyone is using. Thanks for the post.

Duane

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've been using LA's Totally Awesome from Dollartree with great results. Plus it's only a buck a bottle.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use the CMT blade and bit cleaner. It smells and works just like Simple Green/Greased Lightning/Formula 409 for me. Problem is the bottle of CMT cleaner will probably last me a lifetime. $12 well spent.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
IIRC from an old Thread, NEVER use oven cleaner. Most blade manufacturers say it will deteriorate the bonding agents in the carbide tips. They then become high speed shrapnel.....

Rick M

New User
Rick
I cleaned some old router bits with the citrus degreaser, some of the stuff just came off from the force of the spray but the really thick caked stuff took a little soaking and a little scrubbing. I wasn't always nice to my bits.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
D Limonene, the active solvent in orange degreasers, can be some mean stuff. The higher concentration formulas dissolve things such as seals and O rings, and floor tile adhesives. This one, since it is in an RTU format, is likely a lower concentration, much diluted formula.

Be sure to rinse well though, as D Limonene can hang around and keep working for a long time...

EDIT: If you'll notice, the cap and nozzle of the spray trigger is orange. This lets you know that this particular spray trigger has solvent resistant seals. Even in lower concentrations, D Limonene will destroy a standard spray trigger over time.

Last edited:

toolferone

New User
Tom
I always stick with cleaners designed for blades, so I don't have to worry about it. One big thing to remember is nothing ammonia based.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
IIRC from an old Thread, NEVER use oven cleaner. Most blade manufacturers say it will deteriorate the bonding agents in the carbide tips. They then become high speed shrapnel.....
I have been successfully using oven cleaner for years on blades and shaper cutters, and router bits, no shrapnel here.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Crud Cutter from Lowes works good on both TS blades and is really good on chainsaw blades.

Go

rick7938

New User
Rick
Since I am in no hurry to clean my blades, I just soak overnight with baking soda. I clean them after every project so don't get a lot of buildup except when I saw SYP - what a mess, but it cleans up over night too.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I heard the same thing about the original simple green

See this link directly from simple greens website: http://www.simplegreen.com/cleaningtips/pdf/126.pdf

Woodsmith also published a warning about it

I use simple green too so I had to follow the link. They say you should not soak blades in the stuff. This could just be CYA? But the funny part was they say soaking in strong black coffee works. I am not convinced though because pitch still sticks to me :).
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors