Everybody OK ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I visited the new Klingspor’s Woodworking Shop store in Fletcher this morning and everything is moving forward on schedule for Saturday’s Grand Opening. While we got 5-6” of snow, it was easy for all of the plows to get roads cleared away before most of the morning traffic, so it was an easy drive to the store, even on secondary streets. The tent will be erected tomorrow behind the store and it was already clear when I got there about 10:45AM. Ed and the balance of the staff will be ready for us – once the tent is up and Coleman Fourshee gives his final blessing, we’ll be able to get set up and operational. Lots of good items on sale and some special drawings, so folks should plan to come. I’ll be manning a table with several Western NC Woodworkers Association members and will look forward to seeing the NC Woodworker contingent as well.

Rob

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Just had to get out of NC for a couple of weeks. Be back when it gets warmer and until then it's about 84 degrees here in Naples Florida. Actually a new tool sounds good wherever you are.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Rob,

You guys are BLESSED! :)

Tent is scheduled with plenty of tables and power (I hope);)!
D.O.G.S. (Decrepit Old Geezer's Sausages) Food truck is scheduled to be there with their unique specialty sausage dogs for sale for those that can attend. Check them out on Facebook.
Door Prizes are ready - including a JET 1221VS Lathe - $799.99 value. (2) - Klingspor $250 gift cards, and several other door prizes throughout the day!
Vendors attending with deals: Jet, Powermatic, Freud, Rikon, Kreg, King Arthur Tools, Klingspor Abrasives, Nova, EasyWood Tools, Trend, Mohawk Finishing
Demonstrations a plenty!
New supply of Woodturning blanks just arrived.

Don't miss this fun!

Coleman

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
At least 6 inches of snow here and trees bending and falling on power lines. There is one on the wires to my transformer.

I got one cup of coffee before the power went out - Internet was already down due to a weak signal - probably snow on the antennas. I have Clearwire WI-MAX. Power was finally restored a few minutes ago. Flush toilets are very nice and you realize that quickly when you don't have them. Gas stove helps - made some chili for lunch.

The trailer is bogged down in Snow slowly turning to mud. I don't think it is moving to Asheville this weekend.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
At least 6 inches of snow here and trees bending and falling on power lines. There is one on the wires to my transformer.

I got one cup of coffee before the power went out - Internet was already down due to a weak signal - probably snow on the antennas. I have Clearwire WI-MAX. Power was finally restored a few minutes ago. Flush toilets are very nice and you realize that quickly when you don't have them. Gas stove helps - made some chili for lunch.

The trailer is bogged down in Snow slowly turning to mud. I don't think it is moving to Asheville this weekend.
Glad your OK Ken. Same story... anytime there is a significant weather event - trees falling on power lines.

They keep them trimmed within falling distance from power lines around here - I'm glad they do. Knock on wood we have not lost power yet due to weather since we moved to southern IL. We only lost power once for about 2 hours when someone clipped a light pole trying to avoid hitting a pack of deer.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
With all that clinging snow on the lines and trees plenty were hanging low. It is normally a 35 min drive to work, but I left the house at 5:42 and clocked in at 7:01. Unfortunately, Cone Health's in-climate weather policy is "Be at Work"

What really irritated me though is getting behind the snow plows slowed me down. :dontknow:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
With all that clinging snow on the lines and trees plenty were hanging low. It is normally a 35 min drive to work, but I left the house at 5:42 and clocked in at 7:01. Unfortunately, Cone Health's in-climate weather policy is "Be at Work"

What really irritated me though is getting behind the snow plows slowed me down. :dontknow:
Wow you guys got snow plows now -thats awesome. When I lived in Stovall, our snow plow was Bubba on a farmall dragging a blade and our salt truck was bubba's cousins in the back of a pickup truck thowing water softener salt out the back behind bubba's "snow plow". I think the only reason our street got this level of attention was because the mayor lived at the end of the street. I ain't joking about any of this either.

Maybe Stovall has upgraded now?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Do you need me to swing over tomorrow and pull the trailer out of the mud ??

manfre

New User
Manfre
My neighborhood lost power at 5am when branches started falling on power lines. An explosion with a bright flash right outside my window makes an effective alarm clock. My neighborhood has power, but my house is still dark because a falling pine tree branch ripped the power mast off of my house at 7am. At least the power lines have been reattached to my house and I should hopefully get an electrician out tomorrow to install a new mast and meter. I left a few faucets dripping, so hopefully I don't end up with burst pipes from the overnight freezing temperatures.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Be careful about leaving faucets dripping. I did that once and the heat went off. The temperature dropped and the drain pipes froze, but the water lines didn't.

Water everywhere!! I'll never do that again.

Charley

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
:rotflm:
Wow you guys got snow plows now -thats awesome. When I lived in Stovall, our snow plow was Bubba on a farmall dragging a blade and our salt truck was bubba's cousins in the back of a pickup truck thowing water softener salt out the back behind bubba's "snow plow". I think the only reason our street got this level of attention was because the mayor lived at the end of the street. I ain't joking about any of this either.

Maybe Stovall has upgraded now?

Seriously, getting behind the plow up here is a safe driving strategy. On my way up to Providence last notable snow storm (about 10") it was 5" in the fast lane and clear in mine. Thank you snow plow drivers. And next time don't get off 3 exits into RI. The rest of the drive was sketchy to say the least.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Storms like that make a chainsaw and snowblower pay off in spades. Should have came to visit with tools in tow.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do you need me to swing over tomorrow and pull the trailer out of the mud ??

With all the setbacks I/we have had in the last few days, I've given up on getting the trailer to Asheville. If somebody wants to try to pull it there in our place I'd be happy to help, but our reservations are cancelled and I'm way behind on getting the necessary parts for laser sabers ready. I will be off work all day tomorrow and can assist in an attempt to pull it out of here. Just not going to ask Susan to pull it to Asheville this time - too iffy conditions.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
We lost power in Knightdale at 4:39am and didn't get it back until 9pm last night. Had to break out my backpacking stove to make some soup, when its cold and snow has covered everything nothing beats a warm meal.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
When it gets dryer we'll be out mending horse fences where the trees or limbs fell on them.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I lost power at 5am yesterday and didn't get it restored until 4pm today. Fun fact, you need a permit for the power company to reconnect service after any changes to the power meter or mast.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Ugh Manfre that sucks for sure. Where you able to at least get your permit via the web method they're so high on? Or did you have to do it the old fashioned way?

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS