Ever a “duh” moment

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This Stanley folding knife lives in my left front jeans pocket and serves as a pocket knife, marking knive, knife wall cutter, etc. It gets stropped on green compound often to stay sharp. This is the same knife Paul Sellers prefers.
8B114E9C-A828-4B82-8AC4-C6C785E16FB4.jpeg

This knife locks open and the black tab on the end must be pulled to fold the blade closed. Since the blade does not lock closed, I have always opened it by pinching the blade between my thumb and forefinger and pulling.
91AB072E-AA24-44F8-ADC9-FADB3BB7E8C4.jpeg

Over time, the blade has gotten polished and my grip has weakened making opening the blade more difficult for me. The “duh” moment came recently when I discovered that pulling the black lock release tab also enabled the blade to be opened more easily. This was counterintuitive to me. Not sure that I read the instructions (if any) on the original blister pack.

BTW, this knife really excels at cutting cardboard boxes to fit in the recycle tub (followed by a stropping).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes Hand strength is a frustration of age. My rt hand is weaker than my left and has less feeling

............Getting old ain't for the weak............:oops::(:D

llucas

luke
Senior User
Pop-Pop
Yep, I have the same knife...use it for marking, and YES I had to fumble with it opening and closing it as well. Eventually I figured out that the black pull tab worked for opening and closing. Like many of us I assumed that "I don't need to read any stinkin' instructions" Great little knife tho.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
YES, that is a good suggestion!
@pop-pop I have the "US" version of this knife and it is still much better than other options.
I bought extra blades from ACE Hardware when they were still avialable.
I sent a message to Paul Seller's team asking for dimensions of the "UK" version with the blade configuration on yours... never heard back...

Can you tell me what the dimensions are, I had intended to alter my extra blade to this configuration to see if I liked it better, the same or less...

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do one of you have a link for Amazon or otherwise on where to purchase one?
@KenOfCary here you see the difference of the two versions:
1615560128348.png

Here is the link to the one Paul Sellers uses and the one I think Pop-pop mentions in his post: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-0-10...98-Folding-Pocket-Knife&qid=1615560067&sr=8-3

The US version is $9.26 versus $27.90! (hence the reason I am looking for the blade configuration dimensions)
Here is a link to that one...https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Products-10-049-Pocket-Folding/dp/B00L70JJ7W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Stanley-STA010598-Folding-Pocket-Knife&qid=1615560196&sr=8-1

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This is where I got mine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS