Even I Could Figure This Out!!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The ice maker in our Fridgidaire fridge quit. Trouble shooting it with help of you tube, I figured out that the thermal overload cutout was bad. Simple, order a new one and install. BUT, a new TOC is almost $40 delivered, while a complete new ice maker is $41. Care to guess which route I went. As a hint, I won't be needing my soldiering iron to fix ice maker.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
You are lucky they offboarded the TOL to the ice maker control board instead of the main fridge control board. I had an LG one at a duplex I owned have the same issue on the main board and it was a $240 fix even doing the work myself. I could have gotten a used board for about half of that but no way was I skipping having some kind of warranty going forward.

I've never bought an LG (not even that one since it conveyed with the property) and I never will.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Lg (and others) are pretty much toss when they begin to break. Pretty much designed to be next to impossible to repair

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
MTD / Yardman / Craftsman roto tillers fit into the same mold. Lower bearings and seals are pressed into cups from inside, then cups are riveted to case halves. Case halves are then crimped together. No way to check transmission fluid, or add any if seals leak. Ah such quality! But I can get every part to repair my 1953 Merry Tiller. Parts aren't cheap, but they are available.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sears/Craftsman left a brown taste in my mouth a few years back when I tried to order packings and seals for a 2 ton floor jack. I had the model # right off the nameplate and typed it in 3 different times only to be told that model number is incorrect and does not exist. Too heavy a piece of iron to trash of $10 worth of parts........

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Sears/Craftsman left a brown taste in my mouth a few years back when I tried to order packings and seals for a 2 ton floor jack. I had the model # right off the nameplate and typed it in 3 different times only to be told that model number is incorrect and does not exist. Too heavy a piece of iron to trash of $10 worth of parts........
You could have taken the old seals to most any hydraulic repair place, and they could have matched them. When I rebuilt the cylinder (circa 1986) that's what I did.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS